How do you feel about the American Pit Bull Terrier?

I love the breed and the wrong people are getting a hold of this breed. I wish they would stop trying to ban these wonderful dogs and start banning people from owning them. I own a 2 year old female american pit bull terrier and she is the best dog I…

I love the breed and the wrong people are getting a hold of this breed. I wish they would stop trying to ban these wonderful dogs and start banning people from owning them. I own a 2 year old female american pit bull terrier and she is the best dog I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do you feel about the American Pit Bull Terrier?...

• How do you feel about the American Pit Bull Terrier?

How do you feel about the American Pit Bull Terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
      I love the breed and the wrong people are getting a hold of this breed. I wish they would stop trying to ban these wonderful dogs and start banning people from owning them. I own a 2 year old female american pit bull terrier and she is the best dog I could have ever asked for. She is very loving and loyal not to mention very intelligent. I just wanted to know what everyone else feels about this breed. Please do not be rude or inconsiderate.

How do you feel about the American Pit Bull Terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I agree with you. It can be a great breed in the hands of the right person. It's just the right people haven't been breeding or owning them.It's going through the same bias that rotts, dobermans and german shepherds have gone through in previous decades.

• I think they are a great breed of dog and with the right owners they make a specatular pet and companion dog.They are very smart and with firm handling and good training they are wonderful and fun dogs.I wish they were less popular as then less stupid people would own them and then maybe there would be less problems with them.

• Its the same in britain. People have a problem with Staffordshire bull terriers because their knuckle head owners teach them to fight with other dogs...My dog has been attacked loads of times by these dogs because the owners either want them to do it or they just can't control them...I love these types of dogs they are so affectionate sometimes you see the ones that are taught to fight you look into their eyes and all you see is depression and fear of what will happen if they don't please their owners by ripping other dogs apart...

• The American Pit Bull Terrier is absolutely my favorite dog breed. They are smart, affectionate, and loyal. I also have a 1 year old female pit bull, she is the sweetest dog in the world. She is everything I could ever want in a pet. I adopted her from an animal shelter. My parents hate dogs, but they especially hate pit bulls. They would not come 100 feet from a pit bull. After I got my dog, I took her to my parents house so they could meet her. After being there for 15 minutes, Cadence was in my mom's lap, giving her kisses on her face!! A pit bull was giving my mom kisses on her face!! And my mom was completely comfortable with it. Pit bulls are wonderful dogs. I will never own another breed. A pit bull is not born mean. You hear about mean pit bulls because people who want an aggressive dog are attracted to pit bulls because they look tough. These are the people who abuse, neglect, and train them to be aggressive. These are the people who need to be addressed. These are the people who can make Any dog breed a dangerous dog (I was attacked by a Golden Retriever!). It is the owner, not the dog.

• as with any breed, it depends on the time and effort put into raising and caring for a dog that makes all the difference. If a person is not willing to dedicate themselves to taking all the time and energy necessary to give their pet the most stable, loving, affectionate, and appropriately disciplined life that they are entitled to, they do not deserve the pet at all. I believe that all animals were put here for us to appreciate and we should treat them like we do. They do so much for us in so many ways--it is only fair that we return the favor.

• I like them my friend had one he is so nice any American pit bull terrier are nice dogs.I get so mad when they are being use as freighting dogs.I was watching TV one night it was a long time ago i cry for this male American pit bull terrier.If i was there i would have up and knock the Owen over and taking the dog him with me.

• I love them, unfortunately too many wrong people own them. I hate to say this, but I'm only afraid of a pitbull if he is being walked by someone that looks like a gang member. I know that dog most likely haven't received the best socialization or training.... and pits are fast and powerful with a strong will to please their owner, even if his owner is an @&$%. At work, I'm more afraid of being bitten by a schnauzer or chihuahua than by a pit, but people that bring their pits to the vet normally take good care of their pet, and pits are inherently good dogs. Breed specific laws only help to make America even less responsible about their own acts (like frivoulous lawsuits about McDonalds making ppl fat). People that own an unsocialized, abused dog that bites someone should be banned for having ANY dog, period... banning pits is a dead end... since these type of ppl break the laws anyway....

• I own a two year old American Staffordshire Pittbull terrier and she is the greatest dog I've ever had too. I always get nasty looks having her, but that's only because people don't know how sweet they really are. She's great with children and other dogs, especially small dogs, and she is the most submissive creature that I've ever met. I rescued her from a bad situation and she has had some bad mood swings, but with proper training and good love from me and all my friends she's become a great dog. She even plays with horses and cats. She was attacked by my neighbors German Shephered and ran with her tail tucked between her legs, there was also an incident where a scrawny malnurished street cat chased her and I've never seen her so terrified in my life.They are great dogs with terrific temperaments, all they need is a good home and a loving owner.

• It is a great breed and a beautiful one as well. Sadly in the area in which I live many of the wrong people get their hands on them for very wrong reasons. I once had a rescue from a friend who is a city cop, I drove 3 hours away to a Rescue to keep her out of the wrong hands. I have a friend that has a beautiful male, he is about 1 1/2 years old, he is just a great dog (Bugsy), I have another friend who has one that they found as a stray several years ago, he is a great dog too, very very friendly to everyone. Here is a happy ending APBT story for you:3 years ago I worked at an animal hospital, we did alot of work for a rescue, one day the woman brought in this little female who was rescued from a horrible situation (I don't want to say what, as I would not want to see someone repeat it), she was emaciated, mammorys still sagging from nursing a litter, she was petrified of everything, you could not get near her. It took me two full days to be able to leash her for walks, on the fourth day I was the only one who could gain her trust, I went and picked up my choice of premium dry dog food and she started to eat like a normal dog again, she came around after about 2 weeks she started letting others walk her beside me. This dog stayed in our hospital for 2 months, she was an incredible loving little girl, she was out of her shell completely, full figured again and was adopted to a wonderful home and now lives in Florida.Sorry for the long post, but every once in awhile I think people should read something good about this breed.God Bless.

• I love them, they are the most beautiful dogs ever, my dog is half Pitbull terrier and half Siberian Huskey. Her mother was the pit, and she is the most loving dog I know. Thats where I know my alley gets her sweetness from. lol My dog is incredibley smart, it takes her no longer then ten minutes to learn a new trick! hehe

• There is nothing wrong with the Pit Bull Terrier or any other breed of dog! I think it's just plain idiotic that such a great breed of dog be singled out by people. It's the stupid people that abuse, embreed, and fight these dogs that have given it such a bad name. And it's also retards that spread rumors like they can bend steel pipes and can lock their jaws that have helped ruin their great name! The pit used to be known as the American choice breed of dog, a dog that could be found in most any house in America. That's why they chose a pit for the Little Rascals (Pete). I have a Pit Bull! He's blue brindle, and Staffordshire! Very beautiful, intelligent, loyal dog. My neighbor also has 2 pit bulls theirselves. Any dog can bite someones face off. If it's trained to, or if it has been neglected and doesn't know any better. So why take it out on the dog. I say put down the people who abused the dogs, and save the dogs that have been abused! Singleing out a breed of dog is no different than singleing out a race of people. Just petty and dumb!