Are Yorkshire terriers good dogs to have with cats?

We are thinking of getting a Yorkshire terrier puppy and have two cats aged 2 and 3 years. Does anyone know how Yorkshire terriers get on with cats?

We are thinking of getting a Yorkshire terrier puppy and have two cats aged 2 and 3 years. Does anyone know how Yorkshire terriers get on with cats?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are Yorkshire terriers good dogs to have with cats?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are Yorkshire terriers good dogs to have with cats?

Are Yorkshire terriers good dogs to have with cats? Dog Breed Discussions
      We are thinking of getting a Yorkshire terrier puppy and have two cats aged 2 and 3 years. Does anyone know how Yorkshire terriers get on with cats?

Are Yorkshire terriers good dogs to have with cats? Dog Breed Discussions
    • NO! Yorkshire terriers will only be good with cats if your raise the cat and dog TOGETHER from when they're very very young. Otherwise, out of pure instinct, your yorkshire terrier will try to rip your cat apart.

• I had a friend that had a Yorkie and a cat and they got along fine. I think if you get a puppy, and introduce them cautiously and slowly, they probably will be fine together. Just be careful introducing them, because if your cats attack or scratch your puppy, the puppy may decide he doesn't like cats.

• It depends on the individual dog. Terriers were bred to chase and kill small animals, so that might help your decision. Look for a rescue that's known to be good with cats, or find a reputable Yorkie breeder - and talk to that breeder about your cats.

• Maybe if you get the dog young enough. However they were bred to hunt, and ours chase anything that moves. My little 5 lb'er has caught more birds than your average cat. She's also caught snakes, mice, grasshoppers, you name it.

• i guess they would be fine being young. i have never seen mine interact with one and frankly lol i think he wouldn't know what it was but its cute to think of