Is a staffordshire bull terrier the same thing as a pit bull?

I am wondering if a staffordshire bull terrier is the same thing as a pit bull...I have found several different answers but im not sure which is correct.

I am wondering if a staffordshire bull terrier is the same thing as a pit bull...I have found several different answers but im not sure which is correct....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is a staffordshire bull terrier the same thing as a pit bull?...

• Is a staffordshire bull terrier the same thing as a pit bull?

Is a staffordshire bull terrier the same thing as a pit bull? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am wondering if a staffordshire bull terrier is the same thing as a pit bull...I have found several different answers but im not sure which is correct.

Is a staffordshire bull terrier the same thing as a pit bull? Dog Breed Discussions
    • NO totally separate breed, They are the original breed, the original nanny dogs.Pit bull is not a breed, the breed name is American pit bull terrier.

• No. Pit Bull is usually used to shorten the name of the American Pit Bull Terrier, a separate breed from Staffordshire Bull Terriers. But some people use pit bull to mean any bully breed, meaning APBT, staffies, amstaffs, and bull terriers.

• The Amer. Pit Bull Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier are two separate breeds.Staffies though are commonly through under the title "pitbull" along with several other breeds with similar looks/builds and traits.

• no there is a huge difference. pit bull refers to a group of bully breeds, them being apbt, staffordshire, bull terrier, staffordshire bull terrier, mastiffs, etc. american staffordshire terriers and american pit bull terriers are similar and can be dual registered with akc and ukc but not staffordshire bull terriers

• Yes and no. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a breed and the American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed - they are not the same. But due to the government's incompetence they have labeled MANY bully breeds as the "pitbull" so they could more easily enact BSL (and so they don't have to work hard at all to identify the actual breed/dog that was in question for biting.)There are twenty or more bully breeds that look similar, you see. Here, try to spot the ACTUAL American Pit Bull Terrier:http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

• Totally totally separate breed. The staffie is mega common here in the UK, and the breed standard ones that are shown are an awful lot smaller than some of the badly bred ones you see around the streets. These have become a status symbol dog and are inter-bred with other breeds to make them bigger. Also because the pitbull is now illegal in the UK, there are illegally bred pitbulls being bred under the name of Irish Staffies. The size difference in a well bred staffie and a well bred pitbull is a lot.

• No, they're not the same breed BUT as far as most animal control facilities are concerned they lump most of the bully breeds together.That usually includes Staffies, Dogos, American Bulldogs- anything that resembles a Pit.

• No. The real name for a pitbull is American Pitbull Terrier. They are a different breed. They look similar, and are said to have originated from the same breed, but they are different.American Staffordshire Terriers are also different than Staffordshire Bull Terriers.