What are the chances that my 12 year old terrier is pregnant?

We have a terrier female dog and shes around 12 years old and 3 weeks ago we got a 9 months old male <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=5aaf49b1a015c06a24e4759316c09f26a7ce8f54">bulldog</a>, all of a sudden we've noticed that the terrier has a swollen belly and can barely move around... Can she be pregnant?We've had the <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=5aaf49b1a015c06a24e4759316c09f26a7ce8f54">bulldog</a> now…

We have a terrier female dog and shes around 12 years old and 3 weeks ago we got a 9 months old male <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=5aaf49b1a015c06a24e4759316c09f26a7ce8f54">bulldog</a>, all of a sudden we've noticed that the terrier has a swollen belly and can barely move around... Can she be pregnant?We've had the <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=5aaf49b1a015c06a24e4759316c09f26a7ce8f54">bulldog</a> now…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are the chances that my 12 year old terrier is pregnant?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are the chances that my 12 year old terrier is pregnant?

What are the chances that my 12 year old terrier is pregnant? Dog Breed Discussions
      We have a terrier female dog and shes around 12 years old and 3 weeks ago we got a 9 months old male bulldog, all of a sudden we've noticed that the terrier has a swollen belly and can barely move around... Can she be pregnant?We've had the bulldog now for a month, is pregnancy not possible because the bulldog is young? (now 10months old if not 11...)

What are the chances that my 12 year old terrier is pregnant? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If you got the bulldog three weeks ago, no, she probably isn't pregnant. They don't get a swollen belly at three weeks and can barely move around. She could have Cushings disease which causes a distended belly. Take her to the vet and have him check her out.

• Not by the bulldog. She wouldn't be "showing" in just 3 weeks.Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. And yes, a 12 year old dog can get pregnant (by another dog in your area), and if she is, her life is in danger. She would need an emergency spay, since she is far too old to have puppies. It would be like an 80 year old human female having a baby.

• If she is pregnant, the bulldog didn't do it. They don't show a pregnancy for at least 5 wks, then barely, more at 6-7 wks etc. So, unless y our Terrier was out where another male could have gotten to her, I would definitely have her checked out. She sounds full term, if she can barely move around. That would have to have been 8 wks ago.TO DAISY MAE: If she is so big she can barely get around, she has already had a successful pregnancy and is ready to deliver, which she can probably do successfully also. No need to abort those pups....just be sure they get good homes. TO APBT: if the young male's sperm is not mature, it wouldn't cause a pregnancy, would it?Probably is not even a pregnancy....but a healthy 12 yr old can give birth normally.Please let us know.

• I would suggest that you take her to the vet right away and see if she has a tumor or is pregnant. IF she is pregnant, then it's best to have the vet remove the pregnancy right away because at her age, carrying the puppies to term will quite possibly kill her. You need to make a quick decision as to which one you want to live. . .her or the puppies. I don't think you can have both. Her health will suffer and maybe even the puppies won't make it. She can't have a normal pregnancy, so decide quickly. . .do you love her more? Then get her spayed as soon as possible. Even spaying at her age and if she's pregnant may have certain complications. . .so be prepared for the possibility of losing her. . .sorry to say.

• You never mention anything about the terrier being in heat! But a male can impregnate a bitch as young as 4 to 6 months, but that does not mean the sperm is mature. There is, in fact, no condition that would cause a harmless enlargement of the belly, except possibly excessive digestive gas or an episode of overeating. It could be a uterine infection about to rupture, a spleen or liver bleeding into the abdomen, bleeding due to ingestion of mouse poison, fluid from liver or heart failure, or Cushing’s disease, a hormonal disease of the adrenal gland.A trip to the vet is necessary!