Is our new terrier trying to hurt our cat and ferret or is she just playing?

We just got a terrier and she chases our cat but doesn't growl. She also bit our ferret's tail but it didn't cry so I don't know if she is being aggressive or just playing?

We just got a terrier and she chases our cat but doesn't growl. She also bit our ferret's tail but it didn't cry so I don't know if she is being aggressive or just playing?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is our new terrier trying to hurt our cat and ferret or is she just playing?...

• Is our new terrier trying to hurt our cat and ferret or is she just playing?

Is our new terrier trying to hurt our cat and ferret or is she just playing? Dog Breed Discussions
      We just got a terrier and she chases our cat but doesn't growl. She also bit our ferret's tail but it didn't cry so I don't know if she is being aggressive or just playing?

Is our new terrier trying to hurt our cat and ferret or is she just playing? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It could be both, terriers as a breed tend to be somewhat prey driven but that is because that is what most terriers were born to do, chase prey. I have two Rat Terriers and they chase my cats but do not hurt them.my suggestion would be to keep an eye on the level of aggression that she or he is using when going after the cat and ferret. Watch for growling, hair on the back of the neck standing up, and last but not least level of distractibility when chasing,

• Terriers are hunters, so she is playing with your ferret and using her insticts to bite it. You always have to supervise a ferret with a dog. My terrier also tries to bite my ferret, but we make sure he doesn't anymore and my boxer guards her (its interesting to watch!). Also, your dog is probably very curious about your cat and is trying to play with it. You shouldn't be worried about agression but supervise her.

• I highly suggest you do not allow interaction between the terrier and the ferret. I guarantee, you will come home to a dead ferret.Terriers were bred as hunting dogs, they kill small critters. It's instinctive.