Where can I get a lakeland terrier in New Jersey?

I am looking to get a lakeland terrier and can't find any breeders in New Jersey. Are there any breeders websites that I don't know about? Thanks!

I am looking to get a lakeland terrier and can't find any breeders in New Jersey. Are there any breeders websites that I don't know about? Thanks!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Where can I get a lakeland terrier in New Jersey?...

• Where can I get a lakeland terrier in New Jersey?

Where can I get a lakeland terrier in New Jersey? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am looking to get a lakeland terrier and can't find any breeders in New Jersey. Are there any breeders websites that I don't know about? Thanks!

Where can I get a lakeland terrier in New Jersey? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Check the parent club's website for breeders in your area. You may have to travel to find a breeder.Check out the website United States Lakeland Terrier Club.

• None that I know of in New Jersey several in New York. Here is the link to the breeder list.http://www.uslakelandterrier.org/Default.aspx?tabid=59

• Usually I recommend petfinder.com for any pet. Amazingly, Lakeland Terriers are one of the few breeds that are not highly over-populated. There are currently 11 up for adoption on petfinder.com. I have included the link below in the hopes that one of those will be the right match for you.http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=Dog&pet.Breed=Lakeland+Terrier+&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=08608+However, this is one of the few times I would support purchasing from a breeder for a companion animal, as there are very few Lakeland Terriers near you.

• As a member of the USLTC & Lakeland owner. I would suggest first calling one of the Officers or Members of the Board to see who is planning a litter or if they know of anyone who has an older pup available. Many breeders plan their litters carefully and like to place dogs regionally so that they can be there for the puppy buyers for the lifetime of the pup. Most of the breeders on the list breed infrequently and it will be rather hit and miss. Expect to be put on a waiting list. If the breeder likes you it will be fluid and hopefully you will not have to wait too long. Do not buy from anyone who is not on the list. The breeders that are approved through the club have to pass and adhere to very strict standards which promotes and protects the integrity of the breed. Lakelands are an extremely rare but healthy breed. Dogs that are listed on websites are products of backyard breeders and puppymills. These dogs are bred for profit and are imported from countries like Poland who don't care if the dog is sound. Do your research prepare yourself for questions and a phone call is usually better than an e-mail if you really want a lakeland. Be prepared to travel because some breeders will not ship and you probably want to see the dam & sire in person. http://www.uslakelandterrier.org/Default.aspx?tabid=61good luck