How old should my rat terrier be before I run with her?

I have a almost 8 month old rat terrier how old should she be before i take her for runs with me, and how long will I be able to run with her?

I have a almost 8 month old rat terrier how old should she be before i take her for runs with me, and how long will I be able to run with her?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How old should my rat terrier be before I run with her?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How old should my rat terrier be before I run with her?

How old should my rat terrier be before I run with her? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a almost 8 month old rat terrier how old should she be before i take her for runs with me, and how long will I be able to run with her?

How old should my rat terrier be before I run with her? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Not.Very.Far. Rat terriers are small dogs with small legs and are not meant to be run like that. Walks and tossing a toy in the backyard are what they need, even if they are hyper (which they ARE.) If you want a running partner you should get a lab or something...

• A year, or when your vet checks her. Since she's 8 months, her growth plates are still closing. They usually finish at around a year. When you start out, only jog around 50-100 feet and check her pads to make sure they aren't splitting and cracking. Give her some water, and try to keep her on dirt or grass.Then you can gradually start working up till you get a little champion!

• You can run with her now. You may also want to try rollerblading with her. Terriers are pretty resilient, so I would judge how long she can run by just going for a run one day and see how she is doing, however she could probably go for quite awhile.I am jealous that you have a rat terrier. I love them and have always wanted one!! :)

• 8 months is a little young your one step to her is like 20 for her...just like you, you should take her to the vet and see if she is healthy for a run..you prob could run a block with her before she gets tuckered out you have to remember she is a small dog

• I own a rat terrier and we run together (both jogging and interval training). I've owned 2 rat terriers (along with many other breeds), am active in an rat terrier performance listserv and know about 50 rat terrier owners.1. Most rat terriers are done growing by about 8 months. 2. You don't want a lot of pounding until about a year old. So it's better to run on grass, cinders or dirt than asphalt or concrete at this age.3. Most rat terriers aren't great jogging partners. Most people assume...terrier=athletic and hyper, therefore, running a lot is good. Some ratties can be good jogging partners. But they have greyhound and whippet in the breed. That means they're sprinters. Rat Terriers generally speaking aren't great at keeping a pace. You'll see them sprint, slow up, sprint, slow up. Additionally, they have tremendous prey drive. So until you work on focus well (or unless your dog really gets into running), you may have a lot of pulling sideways with distractions. Trust me, it's not about your dog trying to be "alpha" it's about a dog bred to hunt and chase other critters so it gets distracted by small movement that other dogs don't see (like bees or crickets).4. Here's a hint: try roller-blading. I have a good friend with 2 ratties that that is what she does. It allows her to get a workout, run her rat terriers to death (they love it) but accounts for their uneven pace of fast, faster, a bit less fast, really fast, kinda slow, really fast.As for how long? At months, not very long. A lot depends upon the size (toy, miniature, standard or Decker--which tops out at 40 pounds). If you've got an 8 month toy, you're probably talking about 10 minutes (with you at a slow pace). If it's a standard or big miniature, then you could probably do 30 minutes but a lot of stops (to pee, sniff or just saunter around).