What is the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

The American Staffordshire Terrier looks a lot more like an American Pit Bull Terrier than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier does, but I wanna know what is the difference between these two breeds? Are they BOTH considered "pit bulls"? Please be specific and…

What is the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

The American Staffordshire Terrier looks a lot more like an American Pit Bull Terrier than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier does, but I wanna know what is the difference between these two breeds? Are they BOTH considered "pit bulls"? Please be specific and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier?...

• What is the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

What is the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
      The American Staffordshire Terrier looks a lot more like an American Pit Bull Terrier than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier does, but I wanna know what is the difference between these two breeds? Are they BOTH considered "pit bulls"? Please be specific and don't give me foolish answers. Thanks :)

What is the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Neither of these dogs are Pit bulls- although somewhere along the line I am sure that people will refer to both breeds as a Pit Bull- its all ignorance.Am Staffs tend to have more of a Pitty look- but they are a completely seperate breed developed from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.Americans tend to like things big- so they developed a larger, more leggy version of the Staffy.

• They are considered "pit bulls" by those who don't know any better.The only reason that they look different is the result of selective breeding. BOTH breeds were the result of breeding the leggier older version of the today's Bulldog and a small local terrier breed that also played a part in the development of the Manchester Terrier.The Am staff was the result of breeding preference by the Irish, Scottish and British Immigrants that came to the US. In the mid 1880s several different "Bull and Terrier" (one of the original names given to the mixed breed dogs) came to the US along with the owners. The AM staff was recognized by the AKC first in 1936 and had American added to the name to distinguish the taller heavier American style bred dogs from their shorter cousins.

• 'Pit Bull' is a blanket term used to describe a variety of breeds that are short haired and muscular. American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual breed of dog. The AM Staff is a "pit bull'. The staffie (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) is also a 'pit bull'. These 3 breeds are almost always lumped into one when it comes to BSL and are always classified together as pit bulls. The Staffy bull terrier (also known as the nanny dog ) tends to be much smaller than APBT's and Am Staffs. It is a loving little bundle of energy and known to be great with children. Amstaffs are basically show bred APBT's. The UKC will dual register APBT's as either Amstaffs or APBT's. The AKC will only register AM Staffs. To a trained eye the Amstaff is bigger and blockier but really with the UKC dual registering and such ther is not a distinct difference yet. Way too many APBT's are blended now. a true pit was always a mix of breeds but did not tend to be bigger than 50-60 pounds. It did not have a 'blue' coat. Any blue pit has been blended with a Neo or Cane Corso. Many popular lines like Gotti, Ace, Watchdog, i could go on are blended with neos and bulldogs for that short- hippo look and not pure even though they are registered as pure. Founders of Gotti have finally admitted this.