Can my cat become a carrier for human Hepatitis B and subsequently infect people?

Recently, my kitten was playing with a relative of mine, who had contracted Hepatitis B and my kitten had bitten her on the hand, which drew blood. I wanted to know, since human Hepatitis B isn't zoonotic, is there a chance that my kitten will instead,…

Can my cat become a carrier for human Hepatitis B and subsequently infect people?

Recently, my kitten was playing with a relative of mine, who had contracted Hepatitis B and my kitten had bitten her on the hand, which drew blood. I wanted to know, since human Hepatitis B isn't zoonotic, is there a chance that my kitten will instead,…...
    Off Topic : Can my cat become a carrier for human Hepatitis B and subsequently infect people?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can my cat become a carrier for human Hepatitis B and subsequently infect people?

Can my cat become a carrier for human Hepatitis B and subsequently infect people? Off Topic
      Recently, my kitten was playing with a relative of mine, who had contracted Hepatitis B and my kitten had bitten her on the hand, which drew blood. I wanted to know, since human Hepatitis B isn't zoonotic, is there a chance that my kitten will instead, carry that virus in her body, and eventually infect other people when she bites or scratches them? Is there a cure or treatment for my kitten, so that she won't be a carrier anymore? Thank you.I wanted to clarify rather than my kitten contracting that virus, I wanted to know if anyone else will get the virus through my cat, after she came in contact with my relative's blood, which contained the virus. thanks!I asked this because I know people can catch colds or the flu from their pets, who had come in contact with other people who were sick. The pet couldn't catch the disease because it wasn't zoonotic, but their furs or other places on their bodies carried the viruses, and it rubbed off on their owners, who ended up getting sick from that.

Can my cat become a carrier for human Hepatitis B and subsequently infect people? Off Topic
    • Wow, that's a really good question! I don't think to many people know that answer except your Veterinarian or your physician.. I've heard that animals can't contract human viruses and visa versa. I would call your vet and ask him maybe he can tell you the pros and cons of this situation. If you don't have a vet for her yet just call any vet and ask. Kittens build anti-bodies from their mothers milk so I wouldn't think this was a possibility, but you never know with these things. We can contract worms from our pets, etc., etc..there is such a thing as a person can get a infection from a cat scratching someone from there dirty claws. There's all kind of things that can be passed back and forth from animals to human. I got ring worm from a kitten that someone gave me and it was horrible! A nightmare to say the least. It spread like wildfire and quickly to my whole family and my adult cat. It took forever to get rid of it. So I'm guessing it could be a possibility and to check it out with your vet and Doctor.

• The only animal known to be able to become infected with Hepatitis B are certain primates (some kind of monkey, I forget which one). Your cat is not at risk for even getting it, and if she/he can't get it, can't pass it on.