What is wrong with my Basset Hound Puppy?

My basset hound is nine months old and there are a few things that I'm not sure what's going on. For the past few months, every couple of nights a week Ottis will wake up and start throwing up. He's fine all day and shows no symptoms of being sick but…

My basset hound is nine months old and there are a few things that I'm not sure what's going on. For the past few months, every couple of nights a week Ottis will wake up and start throwing up. He's fine all day and shows no symptoms of being sick but…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is wrong with my Basset Hound Puppy?...

• What is wrong with my Basset Hound Puppy?

What is wrong with my Basset Hound Puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      My basset hound is nine months old and there are a few things that I'm not sure what's going on. For the past few months, every couple of nights a week Ottis will wake up and start throwing up. He's fine all day and shows no symptoms of being sick but then around 3am he'll get sick for no reason. What is causing this? Also, his back left hip seems to be hurting him. Whenever he's eating or standing I notice that he tries not to put weight on it. My last problem is potty training. Whenever we take Ottis to my in-law's house he has no accidents at all b/c they have a doggy door and goes out when he knows he needs to potty. But at home, we can take him out 500 times and he'll still potty or poo in the house and never let us know that he has to go outside. We literally take him out about every half hour. Are basset hounds just that stubborn to potty train?

What is wrong with my Basset Hound Puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Throwing up - sometimes they do that if their stomach is empty. Try feeding him later in the evening, or giving him a biscuit or two before bed.Limping - have your vet check it out, but bassets are prone to panosteitis (AKA "growing pains"), and intermittent lameness that shifts from one leg to another http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/depano.htmlAnd yes, bassets can be very difficult to housebreak, nine months to a year is not unusual. Make sure to supervise him more closely in the house so he doesn't have a chance to mess indoors. Bassets are creatures of habit and once they start doing something it's hard to change their minds.

• Vomitting- Bassets usually don't have much trouble digesting food, and/or eating anything. So i would imagine he must be eating something everyday that does not agree with him and throwing it up every night. Yellow-ish white-ish foam (not dangerous) food/liquid (not so good). Call your vet and schedule an appointment on that, any dog who vomits for more than 3 or 4 days means something is not right. Did you check to make sure that your dog food was not on the list of tainted foods? Back Hip- Depending on whether or not you got your dog from a reputable breeder, a shelter, or an inexperienced byb, will determine how well your dog's health is. A common problem with inexperienced, puppymill, and back yard breeders, often don't check hip scores when breeding dogs. As a result dogs as young as 3 to 4 months develop permanent hip, elbow and knee, dysplasia. Only x-rays, and a vet check can tell for sure. Accidents- It is pretty well known that Bassets can be pretty stubborn when it comes to potty training. They often get nervous and unsure, and go right in the spot they are standing. It's a good idea to start from scratch. (if possible) Take your puppy out every half hour, noting how many hours apart he goes. Then gradually reduce it to every 2 hours , 3 ,4 until he is going regularly every couple of hours. Also, dogs sense of smell is even more acute then ours, so he still may smell his own matters. So, it's a good idea to use a vinegar water solution or a good enzyme cleaner on spots he used to go one a day for a week or so. Most dogs generally have two times in which they always need to go. After they eat, and after they wake up. Keep those in mind as well as crating. When you can't watch your dog with 100%, keep him crated in a crate large enough for him, but not big enough for him to potty in. There are a lot of different opinions on why dogs won't potty train. Good Luck with all of your problems, don't forget to check out the vet, he'll know more on the hip and the vomitting.

• Housetraining I can give some good advice on. When the dog poops in the house, use a papertowel to pick it up and take it outside. Put the poop where you want him to go. There are things you can buy at petstores to neutralize the scent so that pottying in the house won't be reinforced by the current scent. As a dog trainer, I have found this to be very useful.

• We have 3 Bassets. The throwing up is not a good thing. He needs to be checked out by the Vet. Bassets are notorious for eating anything and he may have ate something that is disagreeing with him or causing internal problems. I would also reccommend that you get the hip looked at. Basset Hounds, because of their build place weight and stress on joints differently than do other dogs. Being young, it may be nothing, but if he has injured the muscles or the joint, it is easy to treat.Potty Training. OK, first off, Bassets are by nature stubborn. If a normal dog has to be shown something 20 times for it to be a habit, you can count on doubling that for a Basset. A suggestion would be to place food and water out at very specific times of the day. In many cases, just like people, 45 minutes to an hour after a drink, it is time to ge rid of the excess. Same way with the food. When he goes out, reward him when he does well. It will take a bit of time, but they can get potty trained. Two other things to think about- taking him out every hour will make him think that it is time to go get some air and he may not be understanding of what it is you want him to do. The second thing is that if you are thinking of having him altered, now would be a good time and it may be easier after the surgery.Bassets are great dogs, stubborn and they have an attitude, but hang in there. As they get older, they are the greatest companions and friends you can have. Puppies are like toddlers, they can drive you nuts, but they are worth it