Can someone help me with my basset hound puppy?

I just got a basset hound puppy 4 days ago i paid 1,000.00 for her. I took her to the store with me and ran into a women that breeds them and she asked me info on her and when I told her the price she got a really odd look on her face (like I got ripped…

I just got a basset hound puppy 4 days ago i paid 1,000.00 for her. I took her to the store with me and ran into a women that breeds them and she asked me info on her and when I told her the price she got a really odd look on her face (like I got ripped…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can someone help me with my basset hound puppy?...

• Can someone help me with my basset hound puppy?

Can someone help me with my basset hound puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just got a basset hound puppy 4 days ago i paid 1,000.00 for her. I took her to the store with me and ran into a women that breeds them and she asked me info on her and when I told her the price she got a really odd look on her face (like I got ripped off) but she is very very aggressive and she also acts weird. (She has been making this "coughing up hair ball" cough since I got her.) her stomach also swells up huge when she drinks her water. Do you think these are bad signs or am I okay? Also do you think the price was way too high?

Can someone help me with my basset hound puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You need to get her to your Vet before warranty runs out here just in case and Vet will tell you. Many dogs bought in Pet stores are expensive now but she will be money well spent once she settles down but have your Vet check her out. Enjoy and Happy New Years

• Get her checked at your vet. Any kind of bloating and coughing can end up being quite serious problems.As for price, who knows really, it depends on the breeder you got the pup from and the quality of their dogs as to whether you got ripped or not.

• Take her to the vet she could have kennel cough, also you over paid for a low quality unsound dog. return the pup, and find a good breeder go on AKC and finder breeders there. Also ask for the parents papers, health testing, and track record in the ring. there is no reason to pay that much for a puppy unless it is well bred and come from good working and confirmation parents.

• She may have kennel cough which will go away after about 3 weeks.Did you have her vet checked when you got her?Drinking a lot of water can be from a lot of things.Maybe she has a uti or bladder infection or even diabetes.Prices of dogs at pet shops are overpriced.Sometime you are getting the worst of a litter that the breeder couldn't sell.Hopefully they gave you some kind of a health guarantee but since kenel cough is an acquired thing you cna't get money back from that.

• 1K - dollars, is a huge price for a Basset in the States. They go for £850 and up for a well-bred puppy in the UK, but I don't think anywhere near as the equivalent would be in dollars, in the States. So you'd get an odd look from me too!!Secondly, how old is the puppy because I hope you didn't have it in 'the store' on the ground, assuming no vaccination, or not all, has yet been given. It sounds to me as if she has a worm load - bloated tummy after feeding or drinking is a typical sign. Did the breeder give you a worming history, or any other medical history? I also don't like the 'very very aggressive', IF this is what's going on and it's not just naturally playful Basset puppy. If it is aggression, at any age really and especially with a puppy, you have a serious problem and I'd get her straight back to wherever you bought her from.Coughing can be Kennel Cough. Get her to your vet for her health check/first vaccination asap. but in case this is KC, keep her outside in the warm car until the vet is ready to see you - if you take her into the waiting area, she'll infect all the dogs in there.I hope it was a reputable breeder, because you are going to need her, especially through the early stages. Did she give you a puppy pack (with the medical/worming history), feed and a diet sheet (you should not switch food or you'll have a puppy with a digestive problem) and a list of don'ts with this breed - like not allowing her on stairs or furniture, especially jumping off, exercising her yet and not organised exercise until at least 6 months of age to allow her muscles to develop to protect the heavy bone this breed has.My email is open at the moment - see my profile for my Basset experience LOL so if you need more help, contact me,.Add - IS this a Pet Shop puppy? I don't see anything to suggest this, but perhaps I missed a previous question? If it was, I'd take her straight back, and then contact the BHCA for the names of known good breeders. This puppy may well have come from a Puppy Farm where there are some very poor Bassets being produced, sadly.

• have the vet check the pup over. if the dog has a pedigree like show champions then its worth the money you paid for. if not, then thats probably why you got the look you got. just enjoy the pup.

• There are many things that can be wrong with you pup and most of them are not good. GET TO A VET ASAP! Also, if she has not had her complete series of puppy shots she should not be out in public - there is a huge risk of catching parvo or other diseases. Most can be fatal. The aggression sounds like she was taken from her mother & litter mates too soon. She did not learn the boundaries that they teach each other. I would enroll in a puppy class so you can learn to teach her what she missed learning. The majority of pet stores sell puppies from millers and they do not care about breeding quality dogs. They also take them from mom & litter mates too young.$1000 is outrageous - but the pet stores only care about profit, so it's not a surprise. If you hadn't already purchased her I would have suggested your local shelter or rescue.