Why is my basset hound suddenly interested in cat poo?

I recently been given a basset hound. Things are going great. Last night though, I watched him go to the cat litter and get a peice of cat do do out of the kitty litter, and then drop it on the floor. I don't know if he intends on eating or just play…

I recently been given a basset hound. Things are going great. Last night though, I watched him go to the cat litter and get a peice of cat do do out of the kitty litter, and then drop it on the floor. I don't know if he intends on eating or just play…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why is my basset hound suddenly interested in cat poo?...

• Why is my basset hound suddenly interested in cat poo?

Why is my basset hound suddenly interested in cat poo? Dog Breed Discussions
      I recently been given a basset hound. Things are going great. Last night though, I watched him go to the cat litter and get a peice of cat do do out of the kitty litter, and then drop it on the floor. I don't know if he intends on eating or just play with but I stopped him before he did anything else. Its kind of annoying because if I'm gone for a few hours, he's either eating it or leaving it on the floor. Is this normal for these types of dogs?

Why is my basset hound suddenly interested in cat poo? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It's normal for just about any breed. Try giving your cat a product called "Forbid". You can get it at a pet store or vet. It makes their poo unappealing to dogs. Worked for me. Also try a covered cat pan. Place it so the cat can get in the opening but the dog can't. Good Luck

• Ths is normal for most dogs. My dog won't leave the litter box alone. You could train the dog to leave it, But Isolating the litterbox in a place where the dog can't go is the best solution

• because it smells so darn interesting!Bassets are like that. They live by their noses. He will follow his nose all his life and find new things to be interested in. Take him to a park where there are some geese. He will love to smell all the interesting smells.

• I know of many dogs that are interested in cat poop and sometimes very well decide to have a little snack. Disgusting, I know. My theory on this is something I've heard before, and I bet it is true. I think that dogs are interested in cat poop, because cat's eat food that is higher in fat. The dogs love the taste of the fat. There is a fat by-product in the poop. That is what I believe.Anyways, I don't know what to tell you except to keep your litterbox clean and whenever he goes over there to investigate, catch him in the act and say no.

• All dogs do it at some point, you just have to train them not to or try to keep it somewhere they can't get to it. I keep my litter box and the cat's food in my laudry room with a baby gate, the cat's and I can still get in, but my puppy can't