i need help on training my basset hound?

ok there not called basset HOUNDS for nothing, most hounds hunt do bassets? if so what? and how old is to late to start training? any other tips would be helpful thanks guys!

ok there not called basset HOUNDS for nothing, most hounds hunt do bassets? if so what? and how old is to late to start training? any other tips would be helpful thanks guys!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : i need help on training my basset hound?...

• i need help on training my basset hound?

i need help on training my basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
      ok there not called basset HOUNDS for nothing, most hounds hunt do bassets? if so what? and how old is to late to start training? any other tips would be helpful thanks guys!

i need help on training my basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You mean you want to train it to hunt?The best way is to find someone else with hounds and let him hunt with them.You don't really "train" a hound to hunt, you take them out where the bunnies are and let them learn on their own. But having another hound to show them what to do helps immensely.Make sure your Basset is trained to come when called.

• There are different types of hounds. Sight hounds like greyhounds and ones who use their sense of smell. Bassets are the ones who use scent. I'm not sure what you application would be. Obedience training would be good

• I don't think it matters whether the breed of dog you have used to hunt anything... My dog used to hunt all of the time (mostly rabbits) but after going to training, she is so gentlel with animals that it surprisess me that she is the same dog.

• BASSET hounds were bred to hunt small game primarily rabbit and hare,they have a very keen sense of smell and a natural instinct to do this,we usually start their training at around 6 months but as long as the dog isnt too old and the interest and desire is there anything is possible