what is the best treat for a basset hound/austrailian sheperd?

My two basset hounds haven't been feeling so good since I gave them a small treat,so I'm going to give them another kind,what is the best brand for bones and treats?

My two basset hounds haven't been feeling so good since I gave them a small treat,so I'm going to give them another kind,what is the best brand for bones and treats?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what is the best treat for a basset hound/austrailian sheperd?...

• what is the best treat for a basset hound/austrailian sheperd?

what is the best treat for a basset hound/austrailian sheperd? Dog Breed Discussions
      My two basset hounds haven't been feeling so good since I gave them a small treat,so I'm going to give them another kind,what is the best brand for bones and treats?

what is the best treat for a basset hound/austrailian sheperd? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Well there is no best brand. But the ones I stay away from are anything with corn, wheat, or by-products. I really like Natural Balance treats. They come in Venison, Fish and Duck. My Basset loves them! Natural Choice also has some really good treats. I recently bought him the one containing carrots and he goes crazy! But also at times I just make home made biscuits. I'm actually going to do that in a couple of hours. The ones i'm going to make contain pumpkin puree, loves those too and they are very healthy.

• shepherds pie... minus the potato of course. The best treat for their teeth and taste, is raw meat bones that you can get for free (sometimes a small price anyway) at your local butcher. Other than that... it doesn't matter what you get them really- it's all the same, just dried meat. There are doggy 'biscuits', but they're just as appetising for the dogs as their ordinary food is. In fact; you should try just getting a hanfull of their doggy pellets, and giving/throwing them one by one. Most dogs dont' even taste the food, they just gulp it down, and if it's individual it will feel like a treat cause they're getting food and attention (their two favorite things) at the same time. If you ARE going to buy commercial treats though, just look at the packaging and see what preservatives/other ingredients are listed- then go for the one with the LEAST. That's going to be the healthiest. Or other super healthy ones are things you already have in your house, raw egg, for example, or frozen chicken stock in a ice-block for hot days, or leftover rice and veggies. People are so paranoid about feeding their dogs bad things, but my kelpie is going on 27 and she's still fit and charging after eating cakes (CHOCOLATE included) and pastries all her life cause my mum works at a bakery. I personaly advise against it, but my point is- every dog's different. Do some experimenting and let them decide. :)

• Hi,Treats are a great way to show your dog a little extra love. You don't want to deprive your dog but how do you choose the proper treats for him? Check this out:http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/t4m.html