What breed to get next? Will already have an Afghan Hound? What age to get the new puppy?

I'm getting my new Afghan Hound puppy (most likely a male) in 10 weeks time. I will be entering him in agility and possibly conformation. He will be neutered and will be thoroughly socialized and trained with other dogs before I dare consider purchasing…

What breed to get next? Will already have an Afghan Hound? What age to get the new puppy?

I'm getting my new Afghan Hound puppy (most likely a male) in 10 weeks time. I will be entering him in agility and possibly conformation. He will be neutered and will be thoroughly socialized and trained with other dogs before I dare consider purchasing…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What breed to get next? Will already have an Afghan Hound? What age to get the new puppy?...

• What breed to get next? Will already have an Afghan Hound? What age to get the new puppy?

What breed to get next? Will already have an Afghan Hound? What age to get the new puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm getting my new Afghan Hound puppy (most likely a male) in 10 weeks time. I will be entering him in agility and possibly conformation. He will be neutered and will be thoroughly socialized and trained with other dogs before I dare consider purchasing another. I'm only thinking about the Bloodhound, Saluki or Old English Sheepdog but I'm also very fond of the Samoyed, Dalmatian, Borzoi and the Irish Wolfhound. Any other suggestions?I would like a very graceful and attractive dog as I would be showing him/her.Should I get the same sex puppy or the opposite sex puppy as to my Afghan Hound?How old should my Afghan Hound be before I buy another puppy? Note that depending on the breed I get, I could be waiting up to 3-5 years for a show quality dog.

What breed to get next? Will already have an Afghan Hound? What age to get the new puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Neutered and spayed dogs can't compete in conformation, but you can do everything else. Also, conformation isn't about "graceful and attractive" dogs...dogs are judged according to their breed standard. It doesn't sound like this dog comes from a reputable breeder...because he/she would have explained all this. EDIT: I deleted my babble and have a couple questions instead. Why do you feel this breeder is "very experienced, reputable and responsible"...as you stated in your other question? Why are you asking what breed you should get next...because you haven't mentioned anything about your wants/needs and lifestyle. Unless you count the "graceful and attractive" comment. They're graceful and attractive, but they're still dogs...and as such, can pee/poo on the floor, chew up your shoe, roll in stinky things, get into the trash, shed on the couch, steal your food, play in the mud, etc.

• I have already answered u in the past question.Now,my answer to the new one is that,when u have both male puppies chances are there for them to fight often.(I have seen in my neighbours' house).So,when u have one male puppy of 2 yrs old,u can buy another female puppy of 1 yr old.Buy a maltese pup which is cuter and attractive.

• I'd say get your Afghan and decide how well you like that breed. A second one would play the best, esp. if you get a spayed female. If you want to show in conformation, Afghans are a tough breed to start in...keeping them in show coat is no easy task.And of course conformation dogs are intact, not neutered.The breeds you list are all completely different. Bloodhounds are very left field. Not easy to keep in the house, due to huge slobber factor.Opposite sexes usually get along the easiest for a novice owner. But many breeders won't sell a beginner a show quality female, but may sell you a male. At least that's been my experience. I would try to get a compatible breed to the Afghan. Another Sighthound if not another Afghan. Some breeds play completely different and some almost don't seem to understand the other breeds' signals.Show quality is more about structure, movement and breed type rather than color or prettiness at least in Sighthounds.

• Samoyeds might do good, but you might not Neuter it, cuz you wouldn't be able to enter it in Comformation(i think). The sex wouldn't matter, and if you buy that pup later in your Afghan's older days, your Afghan might become energetic again.

• I answered some of those questions on your last question, as 'edits'..You would do best with other hounds, as they also have strong 'pack' mentality. I wouldn't go for the sheepdog or Dalmatian. the others are all pretty much the same, as far as getting along with an Afghan goes. I wanted to advise you, though, to study the breed standard during the next few weeks, so that you know it better when the pups are 8 weeks old..At 8 weeks old, the Afghans will be much the same proportions of the adult, and it is the time you can choose a show prospect. ( but don't take it yet) After that week, and until they are 13 weeks old, they are all out of proportion, and you can't pick a show prospect. After 13 weeks, you can't tell much about them until they are 6 months or so..So, there are just the two windows to be able to stack them and tell if they will be suitable for showing.. That is why I rarely sell a pup until it is 13 weeks old.Your next pup should be the opposite gender. However, you can't do conformation showing with a neutered dog, so it would have to be done after his show career. However, the other sports can be entered even if altered. I think that if agility competition is important to you, you would do better with another breed from the beginning. I can't imagine that a FIRST time Afghan owner will be able to train him for agility..It takes years to understand this breed, and be able to motivate them to intensive training.Afghan hounds are part wolf, part cat and part human. They are not like any other dog ( dog is a dirty word to them) If you can train a cat for an agility course, you might be able to train the Afghan.