Can I teach my 6 year old basset hound to fetch?

I got a very handsome basset hound from the pound last year and a friend gave me a tennis ball today for him. I throw it many a time and got nothing , he won't even glance at it. It would be fun to play fetch with him, is there anyway to teach him or…

I got a very handsome basset hound from the pound last year and a friend gave me a tennis ball today for him. I throw it many a time and got nothing , he won't even glance at it. It would be fun to play fetch with him, is there anyway to teach him or…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can I teach my 6 year old basset hound to fetch?...

• Can I teach my 6 year old basset hound to fetch?

Can I teach my 6 year old basset hound to fetch? Dog Breed Discussions
      I got a very handsome basset hound from the pound last year and a friend gave me a tennis ball today for him. I throw it many a time and got nothing , he won't even glance at it. It would be fun to play fetch with him, is there anyway to teach him or is it a lost cause?

Can I teach my 6 year old basset hound to fetch? Dog Breed Discussions
    • well i never had a basset but i know they are a low energy breed,i dont think fetching is on there list of things to do in life, more like sitting on the poarch, or finding a comfy spot for a nap,i could be wrong like i said never had one.

• well i have a basset hound and basically it just sleep.some of the tricks my dog knows is sit,paw(left),paw(right),down,jump,and it barks when you say "what is your profession" in 300. that's basically all a basset hound can do and i try to teach it how to fetch...well it doesn't work that's what i can say...and my dog is scared of water..and if you play fetch it might get it i and just go down and start biting it. so i say no you cant really teach a basset hound how to play fetch and get it back.

• It's six years old it will learn very soon most dogs get super smart at the age of one year old your fine you just got to the show the dog your the boss. If you got trouble teaching it try this get a bone or ball your choice but no sticks yet he could chew it up. Throw the object at the dog let it chase it my dog had the same problem so take the item away then say ''No!''So keep trying it and he will start bringing it back then when he is good try a stick!