My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about?

My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about? I recently lost my job and I can't afford a trip to the vet right now... is there any way this is normal? She has been a little less energetic…

My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about?

My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about? I recently lost my job and I can't afford a trip to the vet right now... is there any way this is normal? She has been a little less energetic…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about?...

• My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about?

My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about? Dog Breed Discussions
      My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about? I recently lost my job and I can't afford a trip to the vet right now... is there any way this is normal? She has been a little less energetic than usual, but she usually is around this time.

My basset hound is going into heat and has started having mucus covered poo, is this something to worry about? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It sounds like she has worms. I don't think the mucus has anything to do with her heat. PLEASE do not breed this dog. If you cannot afford to take her to a vet you cannot afford to bring puppies into the world. Too many dogs are dying in shelters every day in the USA. Have this dog spayed as soon as you can afford it. It sounds like she has already had at least one heat already. She is more prone to mammary cancer if she is left intact.

• There's no connection between her heat a mucuus in her poop - that indicates an intestinal issue like colitis.Don't feed anything fatty - try some rice and skinless, bonless, white meat chicken chopped fine until her poop is back to normal.If it continues, you will have to find the money for the vet because it could be a bacterial infection which would need the right antibiotic.

• This sounds like 2 different issues that you have noticed at the same time. You can take a stool sample to the Vet for a fecal exam, and see if they come up with something.Best of luck.