Is it true that basset hounds smell really bad?

I really want a basset hound but my parents say that they bark alot and smell like a horse.

I really want a basset hound but my parents say that they bark alot and smell like a horse....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it true that basset hounds smell really bad?...

• Is it true that basset hounds smell really bad?

Is it true that basset hounds smell really bad? Dog Breed Discussions
      I really want a basset hound but my parents say that they bark alot and smell like a horse.

Is it true that basset hounds smell really bad? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They are just like any other dog. If you bathe them when they need it they smell just fine. They are known for Ear infections wich can be stinky but if taken to the vet that can be cleared right up.And as far as the barking goes any dog can be yappy. It just takes a lot of training to get the dog to understand to be quiet. Good luck

• Hounds definitely have their own scent (which you won't notice once you're around them) but a clean, healthy Basset should not be any worse than any other short-coated breed of the hound persuasion. They have more of a dog smell than a double-coated dog, but it's not terribly offensive or noticeable to the average person. If a Basset smells poorly, it's probably either horribly dirty, or has a skin condition or ear infection.If you get a Basset, be prepared for some barking or baying. Keep your hound clean, keep the folds of skin around it's head clean (use baby wipes or a bit of apple cider vinegar diluted in water for this) and pay attention to the ears-- Basset's are prone to ear infections, which can be exceedingly painful and smelly, and are hard to treat once they get started without daily care.

• They actually howl, they don't bark so much.Horse? I don't think so. They smell just like any other dog. If you bathe him NO MORE THAN 4 TIMES PER YEAR, keep his ears clean and feed him a high quality diet he won't smell. Bassets are prone to ear infections so you MUST keep his long ears clean every week. Ear infections smell and they are painful to the dog. I suggest you research Bassets a bit more (health, general care - eyes, ears, back etc.) and find a reputable breeder via the breed club.Basset Hound Club of America -> http://www.basset-bhca.orgBassets are great dogs but thy aren't for everyone. They require a lot of special care and are prone to a lot of health problems.

• No they don't really smell. I had one years ago, the only thing you have to watch with them is their ears, they have to be cleaned out regular or they smell.They are the most beautiful natured dogs and they do not bark anymore than other dogs.