What's the best way to train a blood hound?

I'm a hobby dog trainer. i've trained a shar pei and a yorkie. but what are some basic things to do with a blood hound? Obviously i'll read some books. but i was curious if anyone had one, and what advice you could give. she is 3 and has been spade.…

I'm a hobby dog trainer. i've trained a shar pei and a yorkie. but what are some basic things to do with a blood hound? Obviously i'll read some books. but i was curious if anyone had one, and what advice you could give. she is 3 and has been spade.…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's the best way to train a blood hound?...

• What's the best way to train a blood hound?

What's the best way to train a blood hound? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm a hobby dog trainer. i've trained a shar pei and a yorkie. but what are some basic things to do with a blood hound? Obviously i'll read some books. but i was curious if anyone had one, and what advice you could give. she is 3 and has been spade. thanks!

What's the best way to train a blood hound? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Well blood hounds are pretty notoriously driven by smell. I'd recommend clicker training, which I've found to work great on dogs, monkeys, and cats (the three species I've trained with it so far).Hounds like your dog have a reputation for being able to withstand physical pain and discomfort, so getting the dog to *want* to work for you will go a long way.Since they like to sniff and have their nose in the ground, maybe you could work on the dog making eye contact with the handler, having an awesome recall (even if it picks up an interesting scent), and lying down on command?Here is a great website to get started:http://clickertraining.com/ - it has lots of info about the training method. There are a lot of misunderstandings about clicker training (like people who say you'll always have to use a clicker and treats - you won't!), and it explains things really well.The book "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor is a really great general training book if you're interested in the behavior principles behind how people and animals act.