When should I start breeding a basset hound?

My husband and I are in college and we are buying a basset hound. We are really thinking about breeding her. What are some breeding tips? When is the appropriate age to breed a basset hound? Do you think breeding a dog and selling the pups is a pretty…

My husband and I are in college and we are buying a basset hound. We are really thinking about breeding her. What are some breeding tips? When is the appropriate age to breed a basset hound? Do you think breeding a dog and selling the pups is a pretty…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : When should I start breeding a basset hound?...

• When should I start breeding a basset hound?

When should I start breeding a basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
      My husband and I are in college and we are buying a basset hound. We are really thinking about breeding her. What are some breeding tips? When is the appropriate age to breed a basset hound? Do you think breeding a dog and selling the pups is a pretty good way of making side money? Opinions please!!

When should I start breeding a basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Oh please you two are in college AND likely working. What makes you think you are also going to have time to prove that your dog is working material? I mean that's assuming you can convince a good breeder to even sell you a show/work potential dog in the FIRST PLACE.(and I don't know many college kids who could even afford one in the first place)If anyone is selling you a dog regardless of breed, with full registration breeding rights free and clear with no strings they likely AREN'T a good breeder and the dog sure as hell will likely NEVER be breeding material.Considering the costs associated with breeding you will be lucky to make anything off badly bred pups.

• they say you should wait until the dogs are over a year old to make sure they are mature enough to have them. My grandpa used to sell bassets and he made loads of money! i think its a good idea. as for breeding tips....when your basset has puppies, get a seperate pen or whatever for your male dog because he will try and attack the puppies.

• Breeding dogs...welll.....it's never much of a money making adventure unless you have 20 dogs all giving you pups and quite a bit of neglect on your part....Not a good money maker...you could probably make more if you walked dogs as a side job.

• Absolutely not. To actually make a profit, you have to cut corners and do it irresponsibly. That would make you a BYBWhen you do it properly, 9/10 you are losing money. Or just about breaking even. Your reason for doing it is shameful. DON'T BREED HER. In fact, don't even buy one.

• lmao. breeding dogs is a sucking black hole in your wallet- it's a horribly unpredictable way to bring in cash and usually you end up spending way more than you could make. You need to first have a *quality* basset hound bit** with full AKC papers that you have championed in the conformation ring. Then, when she is 2 years old, you need to have her OFA certifications done (about $1500). Then you have to find a suitable stud with the same qualities (another $1000), once she comes into season you will have to have her progesterone tested 4-5 times (about $70 each). An ultrasound at day 32 and an xray at day 52 (about $100 each) and then have money set aside in case she needs a c-section or one of the pups has a medical emergency. You will have to time it so one of you can be hone 24/7 for the first two weeks assuming she is a good mom. If not, you will be bottle feeding around the clock for a full month. As a college student, I sure couldn't do that. Assuming you are charging about $1000 per puppy (no idea what bassets go for) and you have 5 pups, you might just break even when all is said and done. Here is what the Basset Hound Club of America says about responsible breeding.http://basset-bhca.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=104&Itemid=106To do it any other way makes you a grubby backyard breeder- as bad a puppy mill on a smaller scale. Just forget it and get a job- it's a much more reliable way to make money.ADD: Ah- the irresponsible backyard breeders are out in force today, TDing everyone who actually has real-world RESPONSIBLE breeding experience.

• if you have to ask for tips then dont do it. breeding is not a game to play with your dog.. if somthing goes wrong it can and will cost up to $1500 for a c section then all the follow up visits for the mother and the pups. diffrent food for pups on and on and on.... spay her and love her please have a great day

• First off, congrats on the prospect of a new dog! Bassets are one of those breeds that I adore, but for various reasons will probably never own myself. They are adorable sweet-hearts, deceptively smart, and have great little personalities.Alright, if you are thinking of breeding the future, you need to communicate that clearly with the breeder where you will get your dog. Breeders evaluate their puppies and sell them on "pet" or "show/breeding" contracts (and with registration that will or will not allow their pups to be registered) and so to get a pup that is a good prospect for a breeding dog and to get the paperwork squared away, you need to let the breeder into the loop.NOTE: This is presuming that you are getting your Basset Hound from a REPUTABLE breeder that is consistently producing healthy, temperamentally sound dogs with correct type and proving it through health testing and various competitions. A Basset Hound purchased from a newspaper ad, pet store, or online dealer will be lucky not to have major health and temperament problems herself, and will almost certainly produce pups with problems if bred because those who sell dogs those ways are at best clueless or indifferent, and are often breeding dogs with known problems and lying about it make a buck. To find a good breeder start here: http://basset-bhca.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=34The breeder of your Basset Hound will be your best resource as a mentor, information source, referral service to vets, trainers, etc, as a training/show coach, and as a friend when you need a helping hand. They can guide you through everything from initial house training to when to say goodbye, in between helping you get her the best health care, knowing when to call the vet, telling when she is about to come into heat, analyzing pedigrees to pick a suitable mate, health testing to ensure she isn't hiding potentially deadly problems that she will pass on to her pups, temperament testing and showing to objectively show her quality, managing the mating, proper prenatal care, dealing with prenatal and neonatal emergencies, proper neonatal care, writing a good puppy-buyer's contract, screening potential buyers, and much, much more!To answer your specific questions:*She needs to be at least two to be fully mature (physically and mentally) and have the least chance of complications. If you want to do this RIGHT she will by then have earned a few titles or be on her way to them and have passed all relevant health tests and a temperament test.*Breeding and selling dogs is NOT a good way to make money. It is riskier than playing the stock market and provides less income while taking much more time and effort than a part-time job. Expect to LOSE several thousand on the first litter at least, and realize that any complication will mean the same level of loss for every subsequent litter (and in the best-case scenario she can't be expected to produce more than 3-4 litters in her lifetime anyway). If you do manage to make a little on a litter, it probably won't be enough to cover her food, care, and vet expenses for two years until she can be bred safely again.Good luck!

• Ten backyard breeders, pimping at the mall.Ten backyard breeders, pimping at the mall.And if one backyard breeder should hear their maker's call.There'd be nine filthy scumbags, pimping at the mall.

• breeding a dog is an excellent way to make a small fortune - provided you start with a large one.I breed a field champion- 2,400 in vet bills ALONE easily another thousand in other expenses.and breeding at less than 2 yr is a major bad idea!