How do you reduce basset hound stink?

My basset hound has a distinctive smell that wont even wash away. How can I make her smell more tollerable. She does not have any underlying medical problems and her vet just said bassets smell like that. ANY HELP?!

My basset hound has a distinctive smell that wont even wash away. How can I make her smell more tollerable. She does not have any underlying medical problems and her vet just said bassets smell like that. ANY HELP?!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do you reduce basset hound stink?...

• How do you reduce basset hound stink?

How do you reduce basset hound stink? Dog Breed Discussions
      My basset hound has a distinctive smell that wont even wash away. How can I make her smell more tollerable. She does not have any underlying medical problems and her vet just said bassets smell like that. ANY HELP?!

How do you reduce basset hound stink? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If thats how she smells, then that is how she smells?i don't understand what your asking, make sure you double check her ears, because ear infections are very common and they stink, really really badly. some dogs just stink, don't get to bathing her often.you should only bathe dogs once a month, they have natural oils and minerals in there hair that protect there sensitive skin, so if you have a problem with her, maybe you should try a powder bath, no water!

• Has the vet checked her anal glands? Sometimes they need to be expressed and the vet should know how. They can stink to high heaven. Ear infections could be doing the same thing, but I'm sure your vet checked for that. Besides all that, dogs are dogs and will smell accordingly.

• Well how about pet deodorant???I'm sure they have something for all the dog lovers out there.Searching.......Oh my, I just found it on this web site.Unleash Pure Joy Clean & Freshen Deodorizing Spray.Give it a try! Good Luck! I love basset hounds and them droopy lil' ol' ears!

• your vet is right - some bassets have a very distinctive "hound" odor to them. try using a shampoo that is specially formulated for oily dogs, that seems to help some. and you do have to be very diligent with the ears.is your dog "wet" or "dry" mouthed?did you check into the breed before getting the dog? you may have been able to find this out ahead of time.i hope this isn't making you consider re-homing your basset-they are wonderful loving dogs