I want to start a rabbit breeding buisness but have questions?

I live in Michigan and want to start a small rabbit business. The rabbits would be as pets or for shows. I might also sell them to the local pet stores around my town. I am just thinking about getting one doe and one buck. How would I get the rabbits…

I live in Michigan and want to start a small rabbit business. The rabbits would be as pets or for shows. I might also sell them to the local pet stores around my town. I am just thinking about getting one doe and one buck. How would I get the rabbits…...
    Other Pet Discussions : I want to start a rabbit breeding buisness but have questions?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I want to start a rabbit breeding buisness but have questions?

I want to start a rabbit breeding buisness but have questions? Other Pet Discussions
      I live in Michigan and want to start a small rabbit business. The rabbits would be as pets or for shows. I might also sell them to the local pet stores around my town. I am just thinking about getting one doe and one buck. How would I get the rabbits papers do I need to sign up with someone to get their papers? And any other help you have will be great...I did have rabbits before they just died of old age.

I want to start a rabbit breeding buisness but have questions? Other Pet Discussions
    • You have to buy a rabbit already papered. I breed bunnies myself and enjoy it, but if you dont breed pedigreed rabbits, not many people want their off spring. You cant start a breeding program off of just one pair- you needs and least two. Then, you can breed two does of different bloodlines and breed their babies together. Sorry if I'm a little confusing XD I breed quality netherland dwarfs, and I have learned that no many people at shows will buy un-pedigreed bunnies. Hope I helped! (\_/)=(^ ^)= (") (")

• Breeding and showing rabbits is a fun hobby but there isn't any money to be made in it. You get rabbits with papers (pedigrees) from someone who shows rabbits, hopefully. You'll need to decide on a breed you like and research for breeders in your area. You can also join the national rabbit club American Rabbit Breeders Association, if you like (but it's optional).If you're interested in selling your rabbits to pet stores, you should find out if the pet stores sell any rabbits and what they pay for them if they do. The pet stores in my area only pay $5 per rabbit. That really doesn't cover the cost of the food to raise them to 8 weeks of age (old enough to leave their mother). As far as having rabbits for pets and show, honestly, there isn't much of a market for pet rabbits. I take the rabbits I can't use for breeding or show or sell as pets to a livestock auction. You'll need to show your rabbits and get a reputation for winning at shows for someone to be interested in getting show quality stock from you.