how do i train my beagle to stay in the yard?

shes a beagle so her nose drags her EVERYWHERE.. and she loves to chase the neighborhood cats. what do i do? i dont have a fenced in yard. i take her on walks but she wants to be outside even more.

shes a beagle so her nose drags her EVERYWHERE.. and she loves to chase the neighborhood cats. what do i do? i dont have a fenced in yard. i take her on walks but she wants to be outside even more....
    Dog Breed Discussions : how do i train my beagle to stay in the yard?...

• how do i train my beagle to stay in the yard?

how do i train my beagle to stay in the yard? Dog Breed Discussions
      shes a beagle so her nose drags her EVERYWHERE.. and she loves to chase the neighborhood cats. what do i do? i dont have a fenced in yard. i take her on walks but she wants to be outside even more.

how do i train my beagle to stay in the yard? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Get an invisible electric fence. They are wonderful! I've had 3 dogs die on the high I use to live on, Since we got the invisible fence, NOT ONE has left our yard!

• I would watch this show called "Dog Whisperer" it is a show about these people who need help training their dog and they just cant do it so they call the dog whisperer. he trains people and rehabilitates dogs. It is on discovery channel. Or you can also get and invisible thing to shock it when it tries to leave the yard.

• She sounds like my beagle. Get a fence put up, and if she digs under like my dog does, put an electric cow charger up. After the first few zaps, she won't have a problem. Or, tie her to a tree and let her chase squirrels.

• My dogs are never on leash when i am in the front yard mowing, watering, in the garage doing things and they stay in the yard/area. But a small animal somewhere and they are gone! Its a genetic thing they cant even control. Use hotdogs as a training tool...hide them arround your yard and let her find em...if she finds more "treats" in your yard than the neighbors...she may just spend more time in yours.

• That is a BEAGLE!!!! What did you expect??? Without a fenced in yard, the dog CANNOT be out alone!!! She cannot be allowed to chase the neighborhood cats, or you can be sued!! There is no leash law for the cats, but there is one for your dog!!!! Either get a fence,thake it out only on a leash, or find a better home for the dog!!!!!

• Leave his favorite food in the garden in the same place every time. When night falls, make sure you take it to the garden and stay with the dog till the job is done and make sure you praise it when it is done.My dogs were used to do their business before bed.I stayed with them till they done it, then off to bed & never before.

• Impossible. Beagle's instincts to run and track are far more powerful than any training. I wouldn't get an "invisible" fence either - she will most likely run right through the shock from the collar and keep going. You may think she wants more outside time, but she won't want to be alone. Like most hounds, Beagles were bred to live and hunt in packs & are extremely social animals - they will dig, bark and howl endlessly if left tied up alone. You neighbors can get really tired of it and you may find the dog dead or missing one day if she causes a constant racket. Take her for longer runs on leash, or train her to trot on a treadmill or pay a kid to walk her.

• Did you say a beagle. You're screwed. I had a beagle. Beautiful, gorgeous dog. Dumb as a box. They're hunters. If she/he is a purebreed, you can forget about it. Shockers are cruel but the only way it seems. It is their natural instinct to run, hunt, retrieve. I feel for ya. It's gotta be "ruff".

• put her on a run outside - hang a dog line and attach a lead to her on it. or fence your yard. or get an electric fence (not sure if those work or not). Or stake your dog outside with a corkscrew handle. or be outside with your dog on a 20' lead.

• You've got some really bad answers here. 1. Shock collars are bad. With a beagle, they are genetically programmed to chase things. You can't expect them to pay attention to a shock collar during the excitement of the chase. He'll just force his way over the wire and then the shock collar doesn't work anymore. Now when he wants to come the incentive to get home is not likely to beat out the pain of the shock collar when he tries to come back. Now you've lost your dog. That is if he didn't get run over chasing a cat or something while you were trusting his life to a bitty wire.2. Hitting him is worse. Not only is this abuse, it serves only to make the dog think you're mean. Plus how are you going to cathc him in order to hit him? Or are you going to wait until he comes back then hit him. Good idea. Punish him for coming back!3. The Dog Whisperer: Cesar Milan advocates dominance rituals like rolling the dog onto his back. With a dog who has serious dominance issues, this is a DANGEROUS technique. Not recommended for people who need to read a book or watch a video in order to train their dogs.The best idea: Build a fence. Make it high so he can't jump it, and sink in deep into the ground. Beagles are bred to hunt rabbits. They dig to get to the rabbit, and they'll dig to get out of your fence.Other important things to do: Make him an inside dog. When he is outside, WATCH YOUR DOG. Walk him on a leash regularly. Be responsible. Do basic obedience training until he answers your commands and knows a strong recall.Good luck.

• You just cannot train a beagle to stay in a yard. I have 2 beagles and do not have a fenced in yard and I wouldn't even try Invisible Fence. Find a dog park and take her there.Just one of the joys of beagledom.

• That's just how beagles are. What we do is this: you can buy these chain things you twist into the ground, and they have a hundred feet of light chain on them. Attach this to you dog's collar. It can still be outside and is free to roam as far as the leash will let it.

• Put a fence up, so she is protected from harm, and so you will be protected from going to court because you allowed a dog to roam freely in the neighborhood. If you are a true dog lover, you will do the right thing by her. If you can't offer a safe environment and follow the legal guidelines for animal ownership, such as always having control of your pets, you should not have a pet.

• Beagles are hunting hounds and can cover a large amount of ground when hunting. Most beagles cannot be trained to stay in the yard, they are too active and inquisitive. You will have to fence the yard, and even then they can be clever escape artists.