Can I have a chinchilla around a beagle?

I want to get a chinchilla, but I have a beagle. If they aren't kept in the same rooms, would it be ok to have them both?my beagle is a year old.

I want to get a chinchilla, but I have a beagle. If they aren't kept in the same rooms, would it be ok to have them both?my beagle is a year old....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can I have a chinchilla around a beagle?...

• Can I have a chinchilla around a beagle?

Can I have a chinchilla around a beagle? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want to get a chinchilla, but I have a beagle. If they aren't kept in the same rooms, would it be ok to have them both?my beagle is a year old.

Can I have a chinchilla around a beagle? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I don't see why not. I would never let them alone together or set the chinchilla down why the Beagle is around. The Beagle could hurt the chinchilla even if it doesn't mean to.

• you hae to get them young how old is the dog if hes less then year old fine but if not you will have to intervene abit to get them used to each other.

• Well, it depends on how well trained your beagle is. You first should "experiment" and see if your dog is friendly not just around other dogs, but other types of pets. If other pet owners could have their rabbit,cat, etc around their dog, then it's obviously possible :)

• i have a curious cocker spaniel, and he was always interested in my chinchillas..... so one day, i let out my two fuzzy puff balls of love and my dog was acually a little scared of them..... you should let your chins run around your room and hold your dog by his collar to make sure that he is restrained incase he is a little too playful for the delicate fluff ball.but eventually, my dog got kind of used to them, and they are okay together to be in the same roombut keep in mind that chinchillas can be rather costly... mine have had surgeries and vet appointments regularlyedit: seeing how your username is future DVM, im assuming that vet bills wont be an issue

• Being an avid hunter hare, rabbit, and other small game I would not trust a beagle unsupervised around any animal smaller than itself. You can go ahead and get the chinchilla, just make sure it goes in a beagle-proof cage and is not let out if the dog is in the room.