How can I train my beagle to stay or come?

My new beagle that I rescued from the shelter is really friendly. He follows me everywhere, so I find it difficult to train him to stay. But if he finds something interesting to smell, he won't respond to me. I've found that whistling or snapping…

My new beagle that I rescued from the shelter is really friendly. He follows me everywhere, so I find it difficult to train him to stay. But if he finds something interesting to smell, he won't respond to me. I've found that whistling or snapping…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I train my beagle to stay or come?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I train my beagle to stay or come?

How can I train my beagle to stay or come? Dog Breed Discussions
      My new beagle that I rescued from the shelter is really friendly. He follows me everywhere, so I find it difficult to train him to stay. But if he finds something interesting to smell, he won't respond to me. I've found that whistling or snapping sometimes works, but I need more help. Thanks!

How can I train my beagle to stay or come? Dog Breed Discussions
    • try to make them sit down frist then walk away backwareds so u see him then give him a single kif that dont work then go to yahoo and type what u ask for click on the 4 one

• Enroll in a training class that uses positive reinforcement. "Come" requires TONS of enthusiasm and rewards. "Stay" requires patience and proceeding slowly so that you can build on successes and not frustrate or confuse the dog. A trainer can help you know when it's time to go to the next step.

• How nice of you to have adopted!! A teeny tiny food treat (so he doesn't get fat) is good to have at all times when you are training him. Food speaks louder than words, but also praise him every time he obey's you. DO NOT get after him when he doesn't. Gradually you won't need to use food. ALWAYS use the same command word, and don't use sentences. Dogs understand the "sound" they do not understand sentences. Beagles are hounds and they LIVE for their noses so you'll probably always have to keep an eye on him.

• It takes time and a lot of effort. Remember that Beagles are bred to hunt independent of the hunter. So some behaviors are very predominent in the breed.Big hint: Beagles always hunt in a circle, so use that trate to your advantage. Also understand that any time you move twards a Beagle, you are telling it to expand the diameter of that circle, thus Beagle rule #1 "Never Chace A Beagle".Recall is very diffacult for a Beagle to understand, and it is always best to keep them on a lead anytime the conditions would allow them to run off. In training the recall always keep them on a 20-30 foot lead (rope), and NEVER give a command that you can not enforce.