How do I get my beagle to not use the bathroom in the house?

I just got a beagle not too long ago, and I want to house break him, as far as using the bathroom outside and not jumping up on the couch and things like that.

I just got a beagle not too long ago, and I want to house break him, as far as using the bathroom outside and not jumping up on the couch and things like that....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I get my beagle to not use the bathroom in the house?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my beagle to not use the bathroom in the house?

How do I get my beagle to not use the bathroom in the house? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just got a beagle not too long ago, and I want to house break him, as far as using the bathroom outside and not jumping up on the couch and things like that.

How do I get my beagle to not use the bathroom in the house? Dog Breed Discussions
    • When my dad was training our dogs, he would take them outside if they looked like they needed to go, or he would just take them out right after eating so they got the idea to go outside. It just takes some time. Treats afterward help to make it more solid.As for jumping on the couch, a smack to the back side and moving him off the couch or whatever tends to work.

• ok when housebreaking rubbing his nose in his own waste is un sanitary and does nothing buy a crate and keep him in it all day except for feeding time and when you feed him feed him the same time each day at a time in which it is convent for you right after he is done eating take him outside until he goes potty and then back in the crate do this for about a week and a half to 2 and a half weeks so his body can regulate his potty times and be sure to take him out and feed him at the same times everyday as far as couch jumping roll up a newspaper and swat him everytime he tries to jump and and say no very firmly

• Just take them outside after the go pee or whatever in the house. This will take time. Do not use the newspaper trick where you ahve them pee on newspaper then slowly move it to the door until the are peeing on the newspaper that is outside, because the dog will then pee on all newspapers and other things of paper in the house.For having the dog not jump on couches, just tell your dog that he/she did a bad thing my jumping on the couch and do not let him/her do it. I don't care if my dog gets on the couch, she doesn't do anything.

• In training my dogs, I put them in a kennel or "crate trained" them first. By not giving them very much room during the day or when you are busy, they will hold it instead of messing up their area. Take them outside after a couple of hours or when you return from work. Try to do this at the same time every day. Pretty soon they'll understand the same concept about the whole house.

• The best way to housebreak a dog is to use the crate training method. Especially if you are at work during the day and he is left at home alone. Make sure you take him outside to relieve himself before putting him in the crate. When you come home, take him directly outside. When you are at home with him, take him outside every hour or so, or when he has recently finished playing, eating, or sleeping. Make sure to reward him with treats when he does it outside. It really does work!!! As for other types of training, just be consistent. If you don't want him on the couch, don't ever let him up there. You can't be wishy-washy!! A good trick to use: lay aluminum foil on your couches and chairs... when he jumps up there, the noise will scare him away. Good luck!