What are the pros and cons of a beagle puppy?

I have two dogs from the same litter. They are 12 years old; rottweiler-beagle cross. I am very attached to these pups and won't be getting new ones for a very long time but I was just wondering what the pros and the cons are to a pure-bred beagle puppy?…

I have two dogs from the same litter. They are 12 years old; rottweiler-beagle cross. I am very attached to these pups and won't be getting new ones for a very long time but I was just wondering what the pros and the cons are to a pure-bred beagle puppy?…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are the pros and cons of a beagle puppy?...

• What are the pros and cons of a beagle puppy?

What are the pros and cons of a beagle puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have two dogs from the same litter. They are 12 years old; rottweiler-beagle cross. I am very attached to these pups and won't be getting new ones for a very long time but I was just wondering what the pros and the cons are to a pure-bred beagle puppy? I know of some of the possible diseases, harder to train, etc. But I'd like to know perhaps from experiences. I didn't raise my pups - my parents did. I was too young then as a child to know how to train a dog.

What are the pros and cons of a beagle puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Pros: they're sweet, they develop strong personalities, they're usually great with kidsCons: they bark loudly, they are stubborn(which could be seen as a pro), and they tend to get disorders.

• Beagle can be loud, and they are very high energy as puppies and curious about everything which can make training hard (they always want to follow there nose!). However, they are usually very treat motivated and can learn just like any other dog if you have patience and know what your doing. These dogs really can not be trusted off leash, for obvious reasons. They will wander wherever there nose takes them. As they mature they really mellow out and are very affectionate and sweet dogs. They are prone to obesity, and obesity can lead to heart and joint problems, so just make sure you never overfeed your Beagle and give them exercise. You should get one from a good breeder, one who either works there Beagles in the field or somebody who shows Beagles. A working-line Beagle will be more drivey and will REALLY want to follow his nose, where as a show type Beagle will be more laid back and less drivey (although either way they will want to follow there nose).Just make sure you do your research, but of course you have lots of time for that! It also wouldn't hurt to look online for some breeders near you for when you are ready for a Beagle. Good luck!

• I had two Beagles as a child/teenager - one was a Beagle mix, other 100% Beagle. I will never own another Beagle. They howl and bark too much, dig holes and are stubborn as heck in listening to you.

• I have raised a couple litters of pure bred beagle puppies. I would STRONGLY advise against buying a beagle puppy. I would advise against BUYING any dog, you should go adopt a dog that needs a home, the more people buy from breeders, the more unwanted dogs end up getting bred and put down/neglected/ect.Beagles, if you aren't 100% diligent about training, will tear your house apart. For your first dog to train, you should get a mix, there are much easier to handle. Beagles are also very likely to be anti social, and nervous, they bite when they get excited, and they don't like new people. Beagles are usually in-bred, (like most pure breds) and will have much higher chances of getting a bunch of different illnesses, they won't live as long as mixes, and they suffer a lot more degenerative diseases as they age. They don't like other dogs, they don't like cats, and they really don't like children. Beagles are adorable, yes, but picking your new family member based on that alone isn't very responsible.If I were you, I'd just go to a pound, or no-kill shelter and fall in love with a little guy who really needs you.