How to show a really old beagle that he is loved?

I just adopted an 8 year old purebred beagle, and he is the sweetest thing ever. There are a few problems, however, First being that he is really obese. Any tips on how to shape him up? And the second thing I wanted to ask is that how do you show him…

I just adopted an 8 year old purebred beagle, and he is the sweetest thing ever. There are a few problems, however, First being that he is really obese. Any tips on how to shape him up? And the second thing I wanted to ask is that how do you show him…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to show a really old beagle that he is loved?...

• How to show a really old beagle that he is loved?

How to show a really old beagle that he is loved? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just adopted an 8 year old purebred beagle, and he is the sweetest thing ever. There are a few problems, however, First being that he is really obese. Any tips on how to shape him up? And the second thing I wanted to ask is that how do you show him that you love him. Is it possible for him to become just as loyal to you as a puppy would, despite his age? Thanks!

How to show a really old beagle that he is loved? Dog Breed Discussions
    • talk to a vet about getting him in shape. an old dog could have medical issues that interfere with exercise. i think it's safe to take him on daily walks, be careful about vigorous exercise. any dog can be as loyal as a puppy as long as they trust people. just be affectionate, set firm boundaries for behavior, and take good care of him.

• For the obesity..put him on a raw meat diet of some sort and increase his exercise. http://barfworld.com/ http://rawmeatybones.com/ http://healthydogforlife.com/You treat an older adopted dog like you would a younger dog. Age plays no factor in this. We adopted a 10 year old Beagle, and she was definitely ours.

• A vet check up would probably be a good idea, especially if you just adopted him. That way he can check the dog out, and maybe even prescribe special weight loss food for him. Giving him treats like apples and carrots instead of the typical dog bones will help him to slim up too.The great thing about dogs is they will always love their owners so long as you are kind to them! Love him to pieces and he will most certainly love you as much as a puppy would. Give him time to get used to you and his new home and he'll soon act like he's known you forever. Lots of attention goes a long way, and training him will also do a lot for your relationship.I can never tell the difference between adopted shelter dogs and dogs that have been with their owners since they were young. Even the most abused shelter dogs will love their adopted owners to pieces, it just takes time and effort!

• 8 Years old is nowhere close to "really old" for a beagle.The majority of beagles (who are in shape) that I have known have lived well into their "teenage" years.Start walking him and reducing the amount of food you feed. Don't get too strenuous with the exercise to begin with, just a slow walk around the block. The gradually build the speed and distance up as he starts to lose the weight.Beagles are very family oriented, but not a lot of them are what I would call "loyal."At this age it will be quite difficult to train him to become reliable off-leash, or have a 100% recall; this is mainly due to him being a scent hound and it is difficult to train this regardless.But it is still possible.I would suggest taking training classes with him to help with the bonding. As well as basically just display to him that he is loved. Pet him, spend time with him etc.

• 1) Get the dog a healthy dog vet check and let the vet recommend a good diet food.2) Get the dog on a regular feeding schedule ( like 2 x daily, morning & evening...DO NOT leave the food down all day for him to nibble on. Feed a good quality diet controlled food, and feed in moderation, especially if he is not real active3) Play with the old fellow frequently and take him for moderate walks so he can exercise. Beagles love to run a lot, but make sure it's in moderation due to his age.4) Spend quality time with the dog even if it's just holding and petting him and sweet talking him.Yes, the dog will love you and show just as much love and loyalty to you as you love him. In fact, he'll love you more than you can love himCu dos to you for adopting an older dog...They need love too. Best of luck to you.Papaw

• dogs of any age will become loyal to its owner as they have a genetic need to be in a pack. You are showing him you love him by addressing his health issues right away. If he is obese the rule of thumb is 'slow and steady', with both diet and exercise. Plan to start with 2-3 short, slow walks per day until his endurance increases. Don not go on long walks as obese dogs' hearts are not functioning at their best. Feed the dog 3 small meals per day. A great way to keep your dog full while reducing its food is by purchasing a bag of puffed rice. It is fat free, and it is a healthy filler. Initially he may not like it but dont give up. You can use an oz of heated up low fat, low sodium, chicken or beef broth to fool his nose enough to eat the rice, while you cut his kibble portion in half. You can purchase good quality low-fat, high fibre kibbles from a veterinarian. Store bought dog foods are not a healthy choice. Good luck