Can you put a beagle outside in a fence during the day?

We are wanting to add a fence to our yard to allow our beagle some play time while we are at work! Is this a wise choice.

We are wanting to add a fence to our yard to allow our beagle some play time while we are at work! Is this a wise choice. ...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can you put a beagle outside in a fence during the day?...

• Can you put a beagle outside in a fence during the day?

Can you put a beagle outside in a fence during the day? Dog Breed Discussions
      We are wanting to add a fence to our yard to allow our beagle some play time while we are at work! Is this a wise choice.

Can you put a beagle outside in a fence during the day? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Fencing the yard is a good idea, leaving the dog outdoors while not being attended to is a terrible idea. The dog could escape, be hit by a car, be stolen, be poisoned, get too cold, etc. Bad idea!

• if it is totally secure and the temps don't get too cold where you are. lots of hunting kennels leave their beagles in runs year-round, but they are usually in southern climates and are attached to the kennel building like a large garage or barn where the beagles can get inside to get out of the weather. Beagles will follow any scent they can so it is imperative that the pen be secure.

• Let me guess...this is your first Beagle :) LOL It really depends on the personality of your dog, but IN GENERAL - Beagles are very high strung, loud, stubborn and SMART! The last Beagle I was associated with, could climb ANY Fence - didn't matter how tall or whether it was brick or chain-link - they are EXPERT escapers! As you are now fully aware - they have that fabuless "bay" as well! Most likely - if you leave the Beagle outside, by itself while you are at work, your neighbors may not love you or your dog so much anymore...just because of the noise! I would really - just make it a habit, everyday, visiting the dog park. They learn this is the time to run around, expend energy and bay all they want! Dog parks are an awesome release!Good Luck!

• The fence is a GREAT idea...BUT if you love you dog, don't trust it to be safe outside. Even in the best of neighborhoods..look at all the people being beaten and abused...children & elderly...an animal is no different. In fact, even worse because, they have no voice...and unless you are home and watching it..Please don't trust it to be safe..the world is too crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

• Several years ago we had a beagle. Our yard was fenced in with a chain link fence. We thought he was totally safe. He climbed the fence and got hit by a car. I would not ever leave a dog outside unattended. Too many things can happen to them. They can get out, bad weather comes in, they can get hurt. Beagles are notorious for being escape artists. So leaving him outside all day would not get my vote. Just to let you know my experience, I would hate for it to happen to you.Source(s):Lifelong dog owner and breederHorse owner and breeder

• As long as your yard is completely secured by a good strong fence (you want to keep him in, but also keep other dogs out). As long as the yard is free from debris and other potential hazards. As long as the weather is not too bad. And, as long as you provide him with a warm snug, well-made dog house, it should be okay. If you get along well with your neighbors, you might ask one of them to look in on him during the day and also check with them to make sure he's not barking all day.

• The beagle I had in college (roommate's) did wonderfully running outside, but that was in the south (Georgia). He had a sweater for when it was cold but would pull it off.Definately make sure there's no way out of the fence. Be careful of the gate, he may figure out how to nudge it open and he could dig out. As long as he's secure and not too cold, he should be fine. A doggie door to let him in seems like it would be good too, that should eliminate the cold weather concerns. I've only had outdoor dogs, so I generally think they do better having space to run. As long as he's safe, it seems like a great idea.

• Beagles are extremly smart! They can climb a fence.But if your beagle is trsined to not jump a fence he moght stay put, but if he had a play-mate it could keep them occupied not to go any where. Good Luck!