How do I keep my beagle/dalmatian mix to stop jumping?

My roommate's dog is a beagle/dalmatian mix, and every time I walk in a door (even after being in a room for a few minutes) she runs toward me and jumps, tries to push me over with her paws, and even jumps high enough to bite my hair and pull me…

My roommate's dog is a beagle/dalmatian mix, and every time I walk in a door (even after being in a room for a few minutes) she runs toward me and jumps, tries to push me over with her paws, and even jumps high enough to bite my hair and pull me…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I keep my beagle/dalmatian mix to stop jumping?...

• How do I keep my beagle/dalmatian mix to stop jumping?

How do I keep my beagle/dalmatian mix to stop jumping? Dog Breed Discussions
      My roommate's dog is a beagle/dalmatian mix, and every time I walk in a door (even after being in a room for a few minutes) she runs toward me and jumps, tries to push me over with her paws, and even jumps high enough to bite my hair and pull me down!When we are all alone in the apartment without my roommate she is perfectly well behaved, but the minute my roommate is home, she is jumpy and hyperactive.Any ideas?Some training that we have tried includes turning our back on her (resulting in biting our hair and pulling us down), holding our knees up (she will scratch), and ignoring her (it's hard to when she bites :)). We have even tried consulting PetSmart and they are even puzzled.

How do I keep my beagle/dalmatian mix to stop jumping? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Keep reinforcing that this behavior is not okay. pinch the back of the dogs neck and pin him to the floor its a submissive position. Also try getting to your dogs level so he wont jump. Most importantly is to have everyone else do this so the dog knows that its never okay to jump.

• you need to train youre dog silly not to jump on people that doesnt like other owners pets jump on them . so you can o to the pet store grab yorself a trainning book or take the dog to the trainng class that they have in the petsmart .

• bring your knee up when she jumps,take the palm of your hand push her by the head back down,and say very firm DOWN ,,repeat this and she will get it not to jump on you,eventually you can just hold your hand out and say NO JUMP

• I've put up my knee so they hit that first while at the same time saying "no jump". If that doesn't work, harnesses are made to stop them from jumping. The dog jumps when the roommate is in the room because she wants more attention. Does your roommate take her for a walk on a regular basis? If not, that would be a good thing to start.

• It sounds as though this dog has perhaps one of two problems. It could be separation anxiety mixed with attention seeking plus exercise issues.Firstly -even a couple of minutes alone for a dog with separation anxiety is like a lifetime to it - it believes that it is in charge of you and your welfare therefore when you leave the room it is anxious as to what may be happening to you when it is not there to protect you.Then of course when you return - it jumps up to welcome you back to the 'pack' and is rewarded by you when you speak/shout/yell at it to stop or get down. He doesn't know what the words you are saying mean - all he knows is that you are paying attention to him.Put all that on top of a dog that does not get enough exercise - and this mix - dalmation (carriage dog) and beagle (hunting/tracking dog) both breeds that were intending to canter for miles and miles without tireing - you have the result you now see.The solution would be as follows.Have someone hold the dog on a leash. The leash collor should be just behind the dogs ears - as though in the show ring - and when you walk into the room - your friend must lay the dog into the sitting or lying position. DO NOT speak to the dog. Continue a conversation with your friend and ignore the dog. When the dog is in a subdued frame of mind, your friend can either drop the lead or unclip it. Should the dog attempt to move toward you - immediately you must redirect its thought process - perhaps a short sharp noise - and a firm hand on its shoulders to encourage it to stay. Again - DO NOT say anything to it other that stay/sit.Any devient behaviour must be ignored.I truly believe that you would benefit enormously by reading The Dog Whisperer by Cesar Milan. Available from Amazon if it is not in your local book shop.Hope this helps.

• Have a handful of treats on you. When you come into the room and the dog goes to jump, quickly turn your back on her. Tell her sit. When she does, lots of praise and a couple of treats. It works. You need to repeat it, of course. But the dog will associate sitting with a pleasant experience - praise and treats. She will associate jumping with something she doesn't want - you turning your back on her - no interaction.It works much, much better than doing things like pinching the dog, stepping on her toes or kneeing her in the chest. Despite what some people think, dog training has progressed into the 21st century. There are better methods out there than fear, intimidation and force.