What breed should I get: Beagle or a different one?

We live in a house with a big backyard but without a fence. It backs up to an open corn field and there are lots of rabbits and some deer.I would like to get a beagle but I'm afraid it will run away to chase rabbits. If not a beagle, I would like a…

We live in a house with a big backyard but without a fence. It backs up to an open corn field and there are lots of rabbits and some deer.I would like to get a beagle but I'm afraid it will run away to chase rabbits. If not a beagle, I would like a…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What breed should I get: Beagle or a different one?...

• What breed should I get: Beagle or a different one?

What breed should I get: Beagle or a different one? Dog Breed Discussions
      We live in a house with a big backyard but without a fence. It backs up to an open corn field and there are lots of rabbits and some deer.I would like to get a beagle but I'm afraid it will run away to chase rabbits. If not a beagle, I would like a breed that has short hair, does not drool and is not too big.Any suggestions?

What breed should I get: Beagle or a different one? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Without a fence, the beagle will be off like a shot to chase rabbits and deer. They are all noses and either need to be in a fenced yard or on a leash when they are out. Actually, you really do need a fenced yard or a dog run for pretty much any breed except a toy breed you keep in the house and only take out on a leash for potty. It's just that beagles are about the worst of the worst for following their noses to chase prey. That's what they were bred to do.

• An English Bulldog is a medium sized dog. Mine never chases anything and is afraid of rabbits, to be totally honest. However, while they may be awesome dogs, they are expensive (mine cost $2400) and are high maintenance. But if you really love purebred English bullies, then I soooo suggest an English bully!!

• Beagles are sweet dogs, but the breed tends to be independant and not as easy to train. Ever read the comic strip Snoopy? Almost every beagle I have met has that very snoopy "yeah whatever sure" sort of attitude.If you can handle that trait in a pet then get a beagle. As for chasing rabbits, you will have a hard time getting any dog to not want to do that!

• I have a Beagle and I love her, but if you don't have a fenced yard and there are rabbits around, you won't have yours for long! Beagles are bred to hunt and the open corn field will have too many attractions to keep him at home. You might want a Pug. Although they have some respiratory problems, they are really sweet and cute and they won't be tempted to run off the way a Beagle will. They also have short hair which is amazingly soft!

• Me personally I'm for the bully breeds. I have an APBT, but they do tend to be a bit big, try a Jack Russell Terrier or Ratt terrier, they are small and short haired, so are Boston Terriers, Corgi's have a little bit longer hair, Mini Poodles, Min Pin's, Chi's, or check with some of the humane societies and rescue's, petfinder has pic's or you can work with someone in rescue, tell them what you are looking for and they can see whats out there that meets what you are looking for.best of luck

• any dog will chase animals if not tied up or fenced in. its in there instincts. a beagle is very hyper as a pup, very snoopy, and great for tracking, so it is more likely to track those rabbits and dears. I"m afraid that any dog will chase rabbits and deer. so it really depends on you. do u want to tie it up in the back yard? or do you want to put up a fence? is it an indoor dog or outdoor? I find terriers rarely listen. beagles, are track and natural hunting dogs. I myself have a shitzu I keep her fur short, she rarely sheds, does not drool. they do need to be brushed frequently though. but I keep her fenced in.try this site it will help with your decision.http://www.smalldogbreeds.net/

• Beagles are seriously, nothing but a big nose. If he even picks up the scent of a rabbit, he will be off the yard faster than you put him out there. I have a beagle mix, and have to keep him on a leash at all times because of that. There are countless times i've ran after him for roughly a mile, because he would NOT stop. If you really want a beagle, which i do suggest seeing as you have a big backyard, i would suggest getting an invisible fence. Usually, after a while with the fence, dogs know their limits and won't go past them.Beagles are fun, cute, and very sweet dogs. THey are also protective.