How do I keep my Beagle in the Yard at the Cabin?

My 3 year old beagle won't stick around the house at the cabin. We watch him very closely and if we turn our backs he sneaks away. Usually we can see him in the next yard and we go after him, but then he runs and it turns into a game for him. Most of the…

My 3 year old beagle won't stick around the house at the cabin. We watch him very closely and if we turn our backs he sneaks away. Usually we can see him in the next yard and we go after him, but then he runs and it turns into a game for him. Most of the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I keep my Beagle in the Yard at the Cabin?...

• How do I keep my Beagle in the Yard at the Cabin?

How do I keep my Beagle in the Yard at the Cabin? Dog Breed Discussions
      My 3 year old beagle won't stick around the house at the cabin. We watch him very closely and if we turn our backs he sneaks away. Usually we can see him in the next yard and we go after him, but then he runs and it turns into a game for him. Most of the time he is on the trail of some creature. I realize that this is bred into him. We have done obediance training and he knows the 'come' command. He just gets into a different state of mind when he catches the scent. A fence isn't really an option due to the size of our lot and the amount of tree coverage. Please only constructive answers.He is neutered and we have tried a run. This seems to make it worse when he is let off of the run he takes off.Suggestions that recommend nailing his front paw to the steps isn't what I would consider constructive.Invisible fence won't work either because we have a lake and you can't go under the lake. I have heard stories baout placing a fence along the 3 sides but then the dog just goes into the lake and around the shock line.

How do I keep my Beagle in the Yard at the Cabin? Dog Breed Discussions
    • you could do the invisible fence and give him the collar that shocks him when he goes past it.. there are also cables you can tie tree to tree and give him a long cable, but he would get tangled in the other trees. Neutered dogs don't roam as much either.

• You seem to realize that you have a scent hound and when he's on the trail of something, that's all he's focused on. You also know that a fence is the only way to keep him in the yard unless you want to tie him up which is one of the fastest ways I know of to ruin a good dog's temperament.The only other real alternative would be to buy him a pen and keep him in that when he's outside by himself.

• Hey, he wants to run. It is normal for dogs to try to take off. Get one of those long light weight marine ropes, tie one end to his collar or add a clip to it, tie the other end around a tree or pole. He will still be able to run and the rope won't be too heavy for him. I tie my dog up this way and she enjoys it.

• beagles are natural hunters when they catch a scent it is their instinct to go after it the only way would be to find a shady area and chain him up, try to find an open area where he can roam free on the chain

• This is really tough: he's a hunter and no amount of training is going to keep him from chasing a scent once he's gotten a whiff. And it sounds like you have too many trees to keep him on a chain: he'll just get tangled up and you'll be out there constantly untangling him. Best advice I can come up with is to put up a fenced-in run. This can be about 5 feet wide and 10-12 feet long or whatever dimensions fit on your property. Even if you have to forfeit a tree or two, it's better than having him give chance and end up getting lost or hit on the road. A run will give him the opportunity to get exercise and still be safe.

• Sorry.. but you are looking for a solution but there is none in your particular case at a cabin in the hills or forest. The ONLY solution would be a large wire cage which you would have to carry around when you go back and forth from your home to the cabin. The other would be to BUILD a permanent dog run at the cabin. Other than that... there is no solution because the beagle will get on the scent of and/or see a rabbit or whatever and take off after it.. There is a danger for the beagel and that is that if he gets out in the woods, he might be eaten by a coyote

• ok listen to me. i have a beagle mix, we think part of another hound. so its worse. we live in the woods and i no they say if u have a hound u need a fence or they will take off but u may not no that hounds when they hunt, hunt in a circle. they chase whatever they are chasing and almost like make a circle and come back to the house/cabin. my beagle always takes off for fun or to hunt. no matter what he comes back. and all of then do unless if ur pet is really really really stupid. beagles are scent hounds and its easy for them to reach anywhere. and they no that their home/owners give them food and shelter. beagles have been known to be dumb but thats because their intelligence in hunting sky rockets. they are smarter in different ways then most dogs. i love my beagle and i wouldnt do anything to harm him. if there r cars or something unsafe near by u might want to consider long chains or ropes so the dog is stuck at ur house but can go far. or shock collars but beagles r super sensitive so i wouldnt choose that. many ppl think cats r the only pets that stick around and come back but dogs r the same. usually.