How easy are beagles to live with and take care of?

I eventually want my own dog, once I move out. I've considered a lot of breeds, and I thought a beagle might be good. Plus, they're cute. I want something not too high maintenance or bad tempered. I don't want anything super tiny like a chihuahua!

I eventually want my own dog, once I move out. I've considered a lot of breeds, and I thought a beagle might be good. Plus, they're cute. I want something not too high maintenance or bad tempered. I don't want anything super tiny like a chihuahua!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How easy are beagles to live with and take care of?...

• How easy are beagles to live with and take care of?

How easy are beagles to live with and take care of? Dog Breed Discussions
      I eventually want my own dog, once I move out. I've considered a lot of breeds, and I thought a beagle might be good. Plus, they're cute. I want something not too high maintenance or bad tempered. I don't want anything super tiny like a chihuahua!

How easy are beagles to live with and take care of? Dog Breed Discussions
    • This particular dog likes to bark/howl a lot so I have heard. So in a sense it may depend on where you are moving! Also, watch out for this dog's hunting instincts if it's ever around a cat or any similar small animal. Other than that they are usually very sweet, get along well with other dogs, and make great pets.

• Beagles are the "masters of escape", no matter how well you try to stop your beagle from doing etc they will always find a way to get it or out. Beagles are extremely hyper dogs that are cheeky, usually quite hard to train and handle, they need a lot of exercise since they have a lot of stamina and does not tire easily.Beagles are very friendly and gentle, but they can also be aggressive like all dogs can be. They are very good watch-dogs because they will tend to howl or bark when confronted with unfamiliar noises, smell or people. Beagles are extremely talented dogs and can be taught many, many tricks (my parents have a friend who lives on a farm and owns a beagle and the beagle is so very lovely and he knows how to play soccer with you and he can play basketball as well ^^).

• Beagles are very easy grooming wise, and very healthy (my parents' beagles are currently 18 and 16!) so if you want a friend that will be with you a long time, a beagle is for you! They are not aggressive and generally love everyone, human, dog, or cat. They do need long walks (they were bred as trackers and hunters, so they need time outside) but be careful! Their noses can get them into some sticky situations. They are proned to running away to follow a scent and can't find their way back. So either have a very good fence, or just keep you dog inside except for walks. They do howl, but typically are not yappers like chihuahuas- they bark when excited or on the scent! Also, they are food hogs, so watch out for obesity. Other than that they are wonderful dogs. There are many beagles in shelters right now, so I would look there (my parent's dogs are both from shelters)

• owning a boarding kennel we have found them to be the most non stop barking breed out there, also i haven't seen one yet that listens very well...once they get their nose on something you cant stop them they dont even know you exist.... but on the good side they are very good tempered good with kids ect....so it depends on if you wish to listen to them barking day/night..i am not a beagle fan myself they are cute but no thanks...

• My bf has a beagle. He is a noisy escape artist who eats all his pot plants and is a real grumpybum. ok he is adorable. but he has been hard to train, doesn't get a long with my dog (my dog is super tolerant), jumps all over people, digs into the trash, attention seeker.get a staffy. they are easy to train, wants to please there owner and super cute.. how could you say no to http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp267/Raeaic/My%20doggies/arrow1-2.jpg =)