What is the best way to train a beagle to hunt rabbits?

We have a 20 week old male beagle that we want to train to hunt rabbits. We have bought rabbit scent and put it on his favorite toy, and had him search on the trail that we left. However, he doesn't seem to interested in searching for it. We don't have…

We have a 20 week old male beagle that we want to train to hunt rabbits. We have bought rabbit scent and put it on his favorite toy, and had him search on the trail that we left. However, he doesn't seem to interested in searching for it. We don't have…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best way to train a beagle to hunt rabbits?...

• What is the best way to train a beagle to hunt rabbits?

What is the best way to train a beagle to hunt rabbits? Dog Breed Discussions
      We have a 20 week old male beagle that we want to train to hunt rabbits. We have bought rabbit scent and put it on his favorite toy, and had him search on the trail that we left. However, he doesn't seem to interested in searching for it. We don't have the option to run with other trained rabbit hunting dogs. We have taken him to the fields to jump rabbits but he looses interest quick. Does anyone have any ideas on training them? Anything would help. Thanks!

What is the best way to train a beagle to hunt rabbits? Dog Breed Discussions
    • i think he isnt inerested because hes so young. i think he is just descovering the world and you should give him a break for a while. dont get rid of him because he cant hunt rabbits!!! that would be like killing a human because they cant or wont eat a certain type of food. if you really want a hunter, go to a breeder and ask for her opinion if you want to add another dog to your family for hunting, i think they would get along fine because the dog you have now is so young.