How do I house train a beagle that just refuses to be house trained?

I've been very conscientious and followed all the suggestions in the beagle training book, but this dog just doesn't get it. She's almost six months old, and although I'm seen a little bit of progress, she's nowhere near housebroken. Any suggestions for…

I've been very conscientious and followed all the suggestions in the beagle training book, but this dog just doesn't get it. She's almost six months old, and although I'm seen a little bit of progress, she's nowhere near housebroken. Any suggestions for…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I house train a beagle that just refuses to be house trained?...

• How do I house train a beagle that just refuses to be house trained?

How do I house train a beagle that just refuses to be house trained? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've been very conscientious and followed all the suggestions in the beagle training book, but this dog just doesn't get it. She's almost six months old, and although I'm seen a little bit of progress, she's nowhere near housebroken. Any suggestions for unusual methods that have worked for you?

How do I house train a beagle that just refuses to be house trained? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Unusual methods are not necessary. Take your pup out at least every hour, and after eating, playing and sleeping. This will work if you are consistent. Make sure you praise her once she pees or poos outside.

• How often do you take your dog out to go to the bathroom?I take my small dog out every hour.. if he doesn't go when I take him out, the MAX time I wait until I take him out is 30 mins. (My dog is also six months old, and he's SOOO close to being housebroken!!)In the night, we just pin him in the kitchen with his bed, food, all that good stuff, and a potty training pad. He hasn't wet his training pad for like 2 or 3 weeks so far.

• I would suggest crate training her. Consistensy is key, take her out every hour or two at first, praise her when she goes outside, never her scold her for an accident, only interrupt the behavior. I would suggest seeking some professional help puppy classes to start with, obedience classes, and then even agility classes. mental stiumlation from the classes and even chew toys will all help training. good luck!

• Beagles are very stubborn and can be hard to train. My beagle is housebroken and she will sometimes still stop and piss right in front of me. They are trainable and actually quite smarter than most think they are, but requires a much firmer hand than with most breeds. If this is your first puppy, a beagle probably was not a good choice because they require longer training times. They also love to dig so protect your garden and grass. Crate training has been the best for me. (This is my opinion, 5 time beagle owner) The upside is they are very lovable. They love to cuddle like lap dogs. They shed very little and are so cute. They want to please, so if you be consistent, they WILL eventually get it. Go online and get information about the character of beagles because it will give you insight and you can customize your training your puppy according to your puppy's personality. Good luck.