How do I teach my dog to play fecth and return the ball to me? And are beagles hard to train?

She is a beagle and I am notsure if they are good at returning things. I do know that they are hunting dogs though. Have any other tips about training for tricks please fell free to tell me.

How do I teach my dog to play fecth and return the ball to me? And are beagles hard to train?

She is a beagle and I am notsure if they are good at returning things. I do know that they are hunting dogs though. Have any other tips about training for tricks please fell free to tell me....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I teach my dog to play fecth and return the ball to me? And are beagles hard to train?...

• How do I teach my dog to play fecth and return the ball to me? And are beagles hard to train?

How do I teach my dog to play fecth and return the ball to me? And are beagles hard to train? Dog Breed Discussions
      She is a beagle and I am notsure if they are good at returning things. I do know that they are hunting dogs though. Have any other tips about training for tricks please fell free to tell me.

How do I teach my dog to play fecth and return the ball to me? And are beagles hard to train? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It's been my experience that dogs will either fetch and return or they won't. I've had a few dogs in my life and 2 would fetch but the other one just wasn't interested no matter how much I tried. Beagles aren't hard to train, as long as she's still a puppy. It gets much harder when they are older.

• Well to train a dog to do that task goes as follows.... Take a packet of tasty biscuits with you on the walk... Feed him/her one or two on the way... As in the field/park scent the ball with the biscuits.. And then throw the ball..!! Command your dog to come to you.. And when it does.. Feed him/her a biscuit... If it is at a young age... It shall always relate the ball/stick with food... But of course fun also... Hope this helps... Miss my dog..:(

• I have beagles and one of them is ADDICTED to fetch! She loves it!!! Beagles are highly food motivated, so be sure to reward her for whatever it is you'd like her to do with treats. Because they are scent hounds, they will get distracted by their noses, so just be very very patient. They have a bad reputation for being "stubborn" or hard to train but the truth is that they are just independent thinkers. They've been bred for centuries to think for themselves in the field, (the hunter follows THEM), so they are not a breed that constantly references their owners. I've found that once you understand them, they are really EASY to train. Lots of praise, rewards, affection and patience is the key.

• I tell my dog to sit throw a ball little distance say fetch as I throw when it goes for it I pat my knees to tice the dog to fetch it back when it comes I say mouth to get the dog to either give it to me or to drop the ball & then gave a treat

• beagles are not that hard to teach, but they're not highly intelligent dogs either. you can teach them to play fetch by taking a tennis ball of some sort(not too small) and then throw it far, you dog should go after the ball, after he have his ball in the mouth, try calling his name and he should come back to you. If it doesn't work, try it a few times.

• get two yummy toys and trade.Collective bargaining works wonders with non retrieving type breeds.Immediately throw the toy, don't play keep away. Praise for return, immediately throw again. Dog may not bring close but use other toy as a tool. Make it a fun game. The dog will eventually learn. patience.Beagles get bored easily, keep training sessions short and fun. Sense of humor a must.