What to do about a collie that bites/pinches?

I just adopted a 4 year old collie. She is smart as can be and is very quickly learning her basic obedience. The problem is when she plays she will run up a just pinch me in the a$$ with her front teeth when I least expect it. It isn't a mean or…

I just adopted a 4 year old collie. She is smart as can be and is very quickly learning her basic obedience. The problem is when she plays she will run up a just pinch me in the a$$ with her front teeth when I least expect it. It isn't a mean or…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What to do about a collie that bites/pinches?...

• What to do about a collie that bites/pinches?

What to do about a collie that bites/pinches? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just adopted a 4 year old collie. She is smart as can be and is very quickly learning her basic obedience. The problem is when she plays she will run up a just pinch me in the a$$ with her front teeth when I least expect it. It isn't a mean or vicious bite, but it does hurt. It took her several days before she was comfortable enough to play. So I don't want to end the play sessions too quickly. Any ideas how to get her to stop.

What to do about a collie that bites/pinches? Dog Breed Discussions
    • she may not ever stop. this is her trying to "herd" you like a sheep or other animal. This is common in collies b/c that is what they were bred to do. Try to make sure she is calmed down before you turn away from her and maybe she will not herd you into another room LOL

• When she bites/pinches, STOP her. Hold jaws shut in hands, stare in her eyes, gently but firmly, and say, 'lassie, no!' Repeat it, then let go. Do it every time - you don't want her nipping - she could be destroyed if she bites someone else.Dogs need to know YOU are the boss, or 'alpha dog'. She is testing you.Always do positive reinforcement for good behavior [ treat, hug, rubdown ] and 'stop/control/obey [ jaw, stare, no ] for negative behavior.Thankfully, dogs are smart, and she should figure it out.

• She is play biting, easiest way without physcal correction is to stop play immediately yelp loudly when she does to let her know it hurts and sternly scold very briefly , then fold arms across the front of you and turn your back on her and refuse to look at her for several minutes, then try to engage in play again, if she nips repeat, my girl figured it out after about 2 times and has never nipped again some may take a little longer but should not take to long to realize the fun stops with nipping

• I have a Corgi with the same problem, herding breeds tend to do it. He is in obedience classes right now. It is not play biting, herding insincts are different to play biting. He is telling you he doesn't want you to stop and that he calls the shots.My dog trainer told me not to get my dog too riled up. If he starts, redivert the energy with a toy. If he nips yell 'ouch' and leave the room, close the door behind you and ignore for a few minutes.He will continue to do it too unless you show leadership and show that you are in fact his protector and pack leader and you can do what you want and go where you please. There are many things you can do to establish your position in his world: eat before him, walk through doorways first, he always needs to walk behind you, he is not allowed to be higher than you, if he sleeps with you he shouldn't be up higher than you are on the pillows. He works for every little thing you allow him to do ie. if you throw a toy for him to fetch make him sit first.Obedience classes really helped me understand how my dog thinks. Hope this helps.

• My Collie does this same thing. It cracks me up actually. She does this when she is really wanting to play or if she wants to interupt what I am doing. I have to admit I do not discourage it.If you do not want her to continue playing like this I would teach her an "out" command.I use the word "out" to stop any behavior I do not approve of.Talk to a dog trainer to help you with training this command.Congratulations on your new Collie. They are a wonderful breed of dog. They are very smart and sensitive dogs.