Is a collie or a husky good for a 13 year old boy to have for his first dog?

I'm 13 and was wondering if a collie or a have for husky is a good dog to have for my first dog. I really want one but i don't know which would be better, or if there's a better dog. Help please! Thanks!

I'm 13 and was wondering if a collie or a have for husky is a good dog to have for my first dog. I really want one but i don't know which would be better, or if there's a better dog. Help please! Thanks!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is a collie or a husky good for a 13 year old boy to have for his first dog?...

• Is a collie or a husky good for a 13 year old boy to have for his first dog?

Is a collie or a husky good for a 13 year old boy to have for his first dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm 13 and was wondering if a collie or a have for husky is a good dog to have for my first dog. I really want one but i don't know which would be better, or if there's a better dog. Help please! Thanks!

Is a collie or a husky good for a 13 year old boy to have for his first dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Well when my brother was 13 we got him a husky and he was just perfect. so. Husky when you get them when they are little puppies they won't grow up to be mean if u train them right.

• Do your research on dogs you might be considering. Personally I like Collies and Huskies. I also like Alaskan Malamutes. They are a lot like Huskies but differ from them in a few ways. Make sure you get a dog that you can fulfill all of it's needs. You should give it the right amount of exercise and make sure you like their energy level, size, and temperament. Like I said do your research.

• Collie, possibly. Husky, no.Huskies are a bit too much dog for most ADULTS to handle, let alone a 13 YO. They are very high drive - tons of energy and very intelligent. They require near constant mental and physical activity and can be hard to train. They're escape artists and tend to be small animal (cat) aggressive. If they don't get the exercise or mental stimulation they need, then they can become hyperactive, destructive, and may develop serious behavior problems. They're best off in a very active, dog-experienced household.All collies are herding breeds, so they too have a high energy level and require serious mental stimulation. They would also be a questionable breed for very similar reasons, though i have heard they aren't as intense depending on which Collie breed you go for.You need to do some serious thinking - your family must also be involved.http://canine-truth.webs.com/choosingadog.htm

• Probably the collie (assuming you're not talking about a border collie--that one's completely out of the question). Keep in mind you'll have to deal with a ton of grooming, though, unless you're able to find a smooth-coated one. To be honest, you'll probably find the perfect dog for you at your local pet rescue or shelter. Just tell the staff there what you were looking for in a dog, and they'll be able to tell you which dogs they have their would be the best fit. You can also find Collie breed rescues, as well as any collies found in rescues/shelters.

• Both dogs have very high exercise requirements, something you may have trouble with. They also need a lot of obedience training. I would recommend getting either a Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever for your first dog.Unless you run cross country or are otherwise very active and can take your dog to positive reinforcement obedience classes, I recommend getting a different breed other than a Collie or Husky.I recommend also going to a shelter first, tell them what you are looking for in a dog, how much you plan on exercising it, etc. They can help in finding the perfect dog. Don't forget older dogs can make great companions for someone who is less active.Mixed breeds also make very good pets, don't rule them out.

• If I were you, I would choose the collie.First, the husky will get really big. If you are not ready for the full responsibility of training it, you will have problems soon. They will have strength and will be difficult to walk. Second, a husky is a husky which is closely related to wolves, more than other breeds. Unlike Labs or Goldens, a husky is unlikely to come home if he gets the chance to escape. He may be your best friend and still want to escape. Huskies also need a cold environment and good training.Collies are excellent dogs. If you are athletic, Collies are excellent. They need plenty of excercize yet can still hang out with you. They are generally smaller than Huskies and more domesticated. They are easy to train, considering you are still 13. I would choose the collie, but if you feel you are mature and responsible, go for which one you like better. Also, keeping in mind it is your first dog, choose the collie. Huskies are chosen by more experienced dog owners.

• Huskies are definantly not for first time dog owners. They are huge escape artists, require tons of excersise and grooming, have a big prey drive, and love to dig. I highly recommend NOT getting a Husky. A collie still requires grooming, but doesnt have a high prey drive and doesnt jump 10 foot fences or pull off crazy stunts like the husky does. If you do end up getting a husky, you need a very high fence, obidience classes, and lots of time for grooming. Both are great dogs.

• They're both really high energy dogs, which means A LOT of walking--at least an hour at a really brisk pace, per day. They can get pretty high-strung if they aren't exercised, and they can and usually do get bored, which means trouble.They are both generally sweet, friendly breeds.Collies are herding dogs, so they bark tons. If you have neighbors, or if your parents aren't okay with a vocal dog, you may not want to try a collie yet. They also shed a ton, and need a lot of grooming, because they have so much fur.A husky is more of a "wolf" type dog. They like to roam, and are really good at sneaking out of yards. They can jump fences if they feel like it, and they dig, either out of your yard, or just in general. I don't think that either would be a really good first dog; they're both amazing breeds, but as a general rule, they're a lot of care, which can be hard to balance with school and friends.Generally, I think golden retrievers are really good "first dogs". Most are mellow, friendly, trainable, and playful, not to mention they are beautiful.You can message me if you want other advice.

• If you read about the breed and is certain you can walk them enough, Collies are actually very great first time dogs. They are easy to train, good house dogs, friendly, not too big, actually very calm dogs (but do get bored too and tend to bark a lot if left outside). Huskies... not so much. I love them, I own one, but for a first time owner I wouldn't recommend it unless you've been around them a lot and know what they are like. They are super friendly, but get bored so easily and you need to have experience training a dog. And just a little note. Huskies are ancient breeds, so while their appearance is very similar to wolves, they are actually very distant from them. The dog breed currently closest to the wolf is the German Shepherd Dog I believe.

• Both are excellent choices, though with very different breed characteristics and personalities. A collie will be intelligent AND (in general) quite trainable as herding dogs love to do what pleases their owners. A husky will also be intelligent, but they are bred to be independent thinkers, and while trainable, it has to make sense to them - if they can't see the point of what you want them to do, and agree with it, it ain't happening. Both dogs will shed, but with a husky, be prepared to have it 'snow' in your house at least twice a year. Both dogs are also very active dogs, so they will need to have an outlet for their energy - this means a large yard, preferably, and daily walks, etc. Huskies can also jump (as we have learned), so a 6ft privacy fence is HIGHLY recommended, and they do have a propensity to dig (though ours doesn't, thankfully). I have had shelties and border collie/spaniel crosses, and none of them shed as much as my husky... but I love him to bits. He's challenging, confident, and stubborn, but he's a very good dog.

• I personally would recommend a border collie because they are very friendly and are easy to train. Border collies do shed. Huskies on the other hand are great dogs, but they are a lot of work. A husky will shed a lot and they need a lot of walking and outings. Both dogs are very good, but it depends on what your prefer. You can also try a smaller breed, if you are looking for dogs that don't shed and are hypo-allergenic, you can try a Bichon Frise, bichon frise dogs are extremely friendly dogs. Also they are very easy to take care of. You have to walk them about once every two days. The only problem with the bichon frise is that they are very allergic to things. It depends on how commited you are to making your new pet happy! Make sure to research both dogs and other too, and make a smart decision! Good luck on finding a great dog!