How do I groom a show collie?

I am very interested in getting into the show world and I think that collies are the way to go. I have owned collies before and I adore them. Does anyone know how to groom a collie for a show? Is there a website that will show how to step-by-step? What…

I am very interested in getting into the show world and I think that collies are the way to go. I have owned collies before and I adore them. Does anyone know how to groom a collie for a show? Is there a website that will show how to step-by-step? What…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I groom a show collie?...

• How do I groom a show collie?

How do I groom a show collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am very interested in getting into the show world and I think that collies are the way to go. I have owned collies before and I adore them. Does anyone know how to groom a collie for a show? Is there a website that will show how to step-by-step? What equiptment will I need? Thank you!I've been studying the standard for a few months now and I know it off the back of my hand. I've been looking into breeders for a while and have contacted a few breeders that have the type that I like. I prefer roughs over smooth but would get either. I will admit that I still have a lot to learn about showing dogs(my family shows horses). If you could give me any advice about getting started, I would really appreciate it. Thank you! :)

How do I groom a show collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You might start out by going to a competent breeder of the type of Collie you like. Get a book on the breed standards. There is far more to showing a dog than just the grooming. You need to have a dog that meets all the requirements. The structure is an important factor, a very important factor. You will need to have a Pedigree on the dog, not just AKC papers. you need a quality dog so you will have to spend a considerable amount of money on one first. Train it for show. You won't be able to show a dog (ie) that you got from a neighbors brothers, bosses, sons friends mother. Back yard breeders don't usually have quality dogs. Grooming is probably one of the last things to consider if you want to show dogs. It is actually the last step before going into the ring.You have a long way to go before grooming is important.

• I don't know of any websites but, if you are interested in getting into showing dogs visit some dog shows and speak with a few breeders and handlers there. You may want to seek a mentor to teach you.Also you need to learn the collie standard. Do you prefer a rough coat or smooth coat?Also you need to learn how to present your dog to the judge and teach your dog/puppy to show. There are patterns you have to learn how to move your dog, such as a down and back, L, T, circle, or triangle. You can have a handler show your dog or you can show your dog yourself. If you find a mentor then they can show you what they use to groom their dogs.Good luck!