How do I stop my new border collie from nipping at my other dog?

I recently adopted a 6 month old border collie from the shelter. At first he did well with my older (8 years old) dog, but the second day he started nipping at him. How can I stop him, my older dog is starting to show his age, so I don't want him to get…

I recently adopted a 6 month old border collie from the shelter. At first he did well with my older (8 years old) dog, but the second day he started nipping at him. How can I stop him, my older dog is starting to show his age, so I don't want him to get…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I stop my new border collie from nipping at my other dog?...

• How do I stop my new border collie from nipping at my other dog?

How do I stop my new border collie from nipping at my other dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I recently adopted a 6 month old border collie from the shelter. At first he did well with my older (8 years old) dog, but the second day he started nipping at him. How can I stop him, my older dog is starting to show his age, so I don't want him to get hurt? I have already pointed away and told him to stay, works for a while, but he goes back to nipping. Please help.

How do I stop my new border collie from nipping at my other dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Border Collies herd. They herd anything. Sounds like your puppy is trying to herd the older dog. That will last until the old guy gets pissed off, whereupon he will trounce the puppy.It is your job to protect them from each other. Don't tolerate the puppy's misbehavior; he'll do it to children and adults if you let him get away with it.Rather than just punish him all the time, find a way to tire him out. Obedience school is an absolute must. While there, ask around and see if there's any herding classes available. Failing that, enter him in agility and teach him to catch frisbees.Good luck!

• Border Collies are herders & nip to get the *herd* to go where they need to be. So you are dealing with a natural tendency.You might try keeping the new one on a leash & try to distract him from that behavior for a while. Obedience sure won't hurt. I'm sure others will have better answers.

• Lol nipping is completely normal for herding dogs. He trying to herd your dog! That why border collies where bred to do, herd sheep, so when there is no sheep, they herd other dog or other human type items! A border collie will often try and herd lawnmover, cars etc because when there moving, they insinct is so strong that they find ways to herd.Border Collies were never intended to be simply household pets. Their working behaviors (chasing, nipping, poking, barking) are inappropriate in a normal household setting. Trying to suppress these "hardwired" behaviors, without providing alternate outlets for their high energy level, can be difficult.Compulsive chasing and stalking. Most Border Collies are obsessed with stalking and chasing anything that moves -- children, joggers, bicycles, cars, cats, birds. Some Border Collies, unfortunately, go further than that and will seize and kill small running animals, including cats.Lots of exercise can help reduce the herding and plenty of chew toy.

• i am a dog obedience trainer and a vet.if you catch you border collie nipping its just because they were bred to keep things in order. its like OCD. FIRMLY say OUGHT NOT NO ought sound like the mothers bark more. and like others have said. its the herding thing for sheep pigs and cows.

• I love dogs! I watch Animal Planet a lot, and the show called It's Me or The Dog. Ok you need to train your border collie. They're easily trained, I have 2. Teach it the 'leave it' command. Put a treat on the floor and say firmly, 'leave it'. Keep your hand close by incase he tries to eat it. You must have patience! Your dog can learn all the basics. Please do not get mad and start yelling 'leave it' just say it firm. Once he understands and leaves it alone, give him a treat from YOUR OTHER HAND. That's important. Do that with him a few times. When you notice him nipping your other dog, say 'leave it' in a very firm tone. Once he does, give him a treat. Keep this going. Lemme know if it works :o)

• We have a Lab/Border Collie mix. She herds us every now nd then, she is so slick at it you dont relize it until you are standing at the door letting her out. She has also nipped at our male labs hind legs trying to herd him . Just have to work them- a dog needs to have a job. A tired dog is a happy dog.

• He is just being a border collie.But you knew that right?Border Collies have to have jobs, and a lot of jobs at that.You need to be the source of entertainment for this dog.