What can I do to help my border collie grow out of herding little children?

My Border Collie is almost 6 month old. Will she grow out of herding and nipping little children?

My Border Collie is almost 6 month old. Will she grow out of herding and nipping little children?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What can I do to help my border collie grow out of herding little children?...

• What can I do to help my border collie grow out of herding little children?

What can I do to help my border collie grow out of herding little children? Dog Breed Discussions
      My Border Collie is almost 6 month old. Will she grow out of herding and nipping little children?

What can I do to help my border collie grow out of herding little children? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It is a natural instinct. You can give her an alternative behavior or something else to herd but border collies need a job!! Take care of the situation before you can't break her of it...the longer you let her herd the kids the worse it's gonna get.

• no. i put a choke chain around my b.c and now he herds safely and puts the choke chain in his mouth. if you want to see him in action, go to youtube and type in "border collies herding kids" it is the first video. he is 4 yrs old and has never nipped

• No. Border Collies are herding dogs. That is what they were bred for. If, they don't have sheep to herd, or some other job to do, they will herd not only your children, but also you. Give them good training and something to do. Border collies often do very well in agility.

• Hello? You bought a herding breed of dog that is well known for its superb herding abilities. Herding is what the breed was developed for and bred to do, and you can't expect it to "grow out of it"! You can get going with training the dog, maybe in Agility or Treibball, to use up some of that energy and to put that great brain in the dog to work, too, but it will always be a herding dog.I suggest that you locate aTreibball group in your area and throw yourself on their mercy to teach you how it is done.

• Sorry it's in their nature / genetics she's still a pup so it may take more time to help break this if it can even be done without proper training by a professional trainer .