What is the difference from a Border Collie and an Aussie Dog in temperment?

What is the difference not in apperance but in temperment? Since I am getting a male Aussie, but I am considering a Border Collie. I already know ALOT about the Aussie now what differs it from the BC.Also which breed do you prefer?Thank You!

What is the difference not in apperance but in temperment? Since I am getting a male Aussie, but I am considering a Border Collie. I already know ALOT about the Aussie now what differs it from the BC.Also which breed do you prefer?Thank You!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the difference from a Border Collie and an Aussie Dog in temperment?...

• What is the difference from a Border Collie and an Aussie Dog in temperment?

What is the difference from a Border Collie and an Aussie Dog in temperment? Dog Breed Discussions
      What is the difference not in apperance but in temperment? Since I am getting a male Aussie, but I am considering a Border Collie. I already know ALOT about the Aussie now what differs it from the BC.Also which breed do you prefer?Thank You!

What is the difference from a Border Collie and an Aussie Dog in temperment? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Australian ShepherdIf you want a dog who...Is medium-sized and sturdyHas a lovely coat that comes in striking colorsThrives on vigorous exercise and athletic activitiesIs exceptionally versatile -- when well-trained, can learn and do almost anything -- one of the smartest breeds in dogdom -- I really love this breed!An Australian Shepherd may be right for you.If you don't want to deal with...Providing enough exercise and training to keep his active body and equally active mind satisfiedDestructiveness and barking when bored or not exercised enoughSuspiciousness or shyness when not socialized enoughStubbornness in some individualsChasing and nipping at things that move: children, joggers, other animals, bikes, carsA good amount of sheddingA good number of potential health problemsBorder CollieIf you want a dog who...Is medium-sized and natural-lookingHas a handsome, easy-care coatIs very athletic and thrives on TONS of exercise and trainingIs exceptionally versatile -- when well-trained, can learn and do almost anythingWill play fetch for hours and hoursA Border Collie may be right for you.If you don't want to deal with...An intense athlete who can drive you up the wall with obsessive and destructive behaviors if you don't provide lots of exercise and creative outlets for his boundless energyCompulsive chasing and nipping at things that move: children, joggers, other animals, bikes, cars"Separation anxiety" (destructiveness and barking) when left alone too muchShyness or suspiciousness toward strangers or when not socialized enoughSheddingSerious health problemscons are discussed in depth on the websitesIf you take a few minutes to read these its kind of interesting how the same and different they are

• Border Collies tend to be pretty constant. Aussies tend to be very energetic and very motivated, but they know that there's a time and a place (provided you *give* them a time and a place). BCs will keep going until they're tuckered out.

• I've worked with both, and I'd say of the two most Aussies have the harder temperament. They will stand up to the intruder and put some teeth into him and not just bark from out of reach. Just a fun working generality is this. An BC will chase the ball over and over and over until he falls over from exhaustion or heat stroke. An Aussie will do the same until he's had enough. Then he drops the ball down the storm drain and looks at you expectantly. It's your turn to go get it! It's like the diff between a Throughbred racehorse and a mule out of a Thoroughbred mother. The pure TB will run until he collapses. The mule will run just as fast but when it's time to quit he quits. He won't run himself into the ground; his self preservation instincts are strong. He just doesn't see the sense in it.I would also agree with the poster who talked about obsessiveness. Some BCs will kick up dirt with their hind legs, then spin around to stare as it falls. If something catches their interest they are relentless in the pursuit of it - squirrel, laser pointer, whatever. Aussies will pursue it until it's no longer convenient. Once the squirrel is up the tree they can't get and they know it. So they'll shift gears and entertain themselves carrying the garden hose around or digging a nice crater instead.

• Border collies are a lot more stubborn and independent. Aussies always want to please and strive to get their owners attention. Although both dogs are extremely intelligent and active they display their behavior in different ways. An aussie would settle for a fun game but a border collie would not be happy until they had been for a long walk or jog, they never want the fun to end. Both dogs are smart but there is a difference between intelligence and trainability. Border collies are often too smart for their own good and they use to their advantage. The aussie uses its intelligence to please its owner and learns quickly. Both breeds are beautiful and its completely up to you which one you get but choose the one that suits your lifestyle best. Good luck and have fun with which ever breed becomes your new best friend.