What is the difference between a sheltie and a collie?

I remember taking care of a collie when I was a kid and the other day I saw a dog that I was sure was a collie but the owner said it was actually a sheltie. They looked like they were identical. What is the difference between the two?

I remember taking care of a collie when I was a kid and the other day I saw a dog that I was sure was a collie but the owner said it was actually a sheltie. They looked like they were identical. What is the difference between the two?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the difference between a sheltie and a collie?...

• What is the difference between a sheltie and a collie?

What is the difference between a sheltie and a collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      I remember taking care of a collie when I was a kid and the other day I saw a dog that I was sure was a collie but the owner said it was actually a sheltie. They looked like they were identical. What is the difference between the two?

What is the difference between a sheltie and a collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • While they may look alike, they are completely separate breeds. They were developed independant of each other.Collie:- 22-26 inches tall- 50-75lbs- Tend to be more laid back- 2 coat types (rough and smooth)Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)- 13-16 inches tall- 14-27lbs- 1 coat type (rough)

• A Sheltie or Shetland Sheepdog, is like a smaller version of a Collie, however, they are not "Miniature Collies" because both breeds are developed in a different way. Collies are from 22-26 inches and weigh 50 to 65 pounds,but the Sheltie are 13-16 inches are 14-27 pounds. As I said before, they are bred to do different things and different places. Shelties were bred to be small on the Shetland Islands so they can be cold-weather resistant. Collies, however, were bred in Scotland and England.