What is it like to have a golden retriever and a collie breed of dog as a pet?

Can you tell me what it's like to have a golden retriever dog and a collie dog as a pet? Can they live with cats rabbits or birds.how about fish? can they live with a fish. can all those animals live together in peace

Can you tell me what it's like to have a golden retriever dog and a collie dog as a pet? Can they live with cats rabbits or birds.how about fish? can they live with a fish. can all those animals live together in peace...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is it like to have a golden retriever and a collie breed of dog as a pet?...

• What is it like to have a golden retriever and a collie breed of dog as a pet?

What is it like to have a golden retriever and a collie breed of dog as a pet? Dog Breed Discussions
      Can you tell me what it's like to have a golden retriever dog and a collie dog as a pet? Can they live with cats rabbits or birds.how about fish? can they live with a fish. can all those animals live together in peace

What is it like to have a golden retriever and a collie breed of dog as a pet? Dog Breed Discussions
    • if introduced early on they can live together. They are both Hyper dogs and do need training. Other wise theyre smart dogs, very sweet and loving and learn quickly. Usually the goldens and collies make the best dogs in my classes. But every dog is different.

• Technically, any dog should be able to get along well with other animals if they are raised with them, but the labradors are more likely to coexist than the collie is. They both have a fairly strong prey drive, but the collie combines that prey drive with a herding instinct. A herding instinct undeveloped will often lead to an attacking instinct when it comes to encountering smaller animals.

• my only advice is that collie breeds are herders, therefore need training and tend to nip at rambunctious children at their feet. theyarevery high energy but are great at training- a border collie is touted as the smartest breed.

• If you get them as a puppy any dog can live with those animals, the retriever would probably be better because the collie might have some herding in its bloodline which might not work. but i dont think that matters as long as its trained properlyy.

• The best dog I ever had was a mix of rough collie and golden retriever with a dash of German shepherd. She was wonderful with everyone,even babies,and she would not hurt a baby bird,bunny or anything that she would find in the yard. She was also beautiful,with the coloring of the golden,white legs and chest of a collie and the shepherd ears.Her coat was in between the collie and retriever,and she weighed about 75 lbs. Wonderful dog.

• I've owned, bred, shown, trained, groomed, rescued, watched and studied collies especially for over 50 years, as well as working with many other dogs. I've known a couple of hyper collies, and a couple of lazy couch potatoes, but most family dogs have been calm, sensible dogs, much less active than my friends' goldens (which are delightful dogs but too active and rambunctious for me!). They are quiet indoors or on leash, though quite active in play. I've never encountered an aggressive collie, though have known a couple who would growl or snap when frightened. Collies raised my kids, who could walk even a minimally trained collie pup when they were still little more than toddlers, because the collies were so careful with the kids. When free to play, they do play hard, and can be rough with each other, racing and bumping, nipping and tugging, but I've never had them try that with me or my kids.I've never had a heel-nipper, even in a herding collie. Some of that is due to being sure to keep the pups together and preferably with the mother for 10 weeks or so, to learn to control their mouths when playing. The other pups and the mother will react to the pup in ways it doesn't like--mother may growl and pin the pup, and the other pups will yelp and stop playing with him. A pup that's separated too early will tend to be grabby and nippy because he hasn't a clue how to control his mouth appropriately. This can be trained out, but it's far better to avoid the problem in the first place. Collies are caretakers by breeding. They usually love small creatures and try to take care of them. That said, some collies have too much prey drive (which is not all that related to herding drive, by the way) and may see small creatures as prey. So I would counsel close supervision at first until you are comfortable with the dog's interaction with your other furry/feathered pets. For that matter, a child should never be left unattended with ANY dog either, for both their sakes. I've had collies with cats, birds, and fish, though never with a pet rabbit. And collies are great ranch dogs where they may live peaceably with fowl, sheep, cattle, etc. They don't tend to have the intense urge for nonstop herding that border collies do, for example, but rather when their job is done they relax and hang out. My familiarity with goldens is not as great as with collies, but I know they are more active and "bouncy" than collies, and need some obedience training to get their behavior under control, especially when young or adolescent. They need much more exercise than collies do. They don't herd or nip, but are less careful about bumping into or jumping on people, and can knock kids (or furniture!) down pretty easily. I would not expect to have much problem with goldens with cats, birds or rabbits (let alone fish!) other than possibly picking them up and carrying them around! You probably would be fine with either breed, but would have different issues with each, in training them for household harmony. If you love to bike, jog or run with your dog, a golden with its boundless energy might be better, for example. If you hate to brush dogs, you should check out a smooth (short-coated) collie, or stick to a golden, though they still need some grooming. If you're a bit heavy handed, a golden can handle that more easily, while a collie tends to be more sensitive to corrections and learns much more readily with quiet teaching and praise. If you want to play frisbee or a lot of "fetch", stick with the golden; collies can be trained for these activities but are definitely not "naturals" at them. Collies are easy to housebreak; I can't speak for goldens but suspect they're not much problem with that either. You'd need to monitor either carefully with your other pets until you are sure they know the others are not toys or lunch, and will be safe.

• These are both great breeds, loyal, smart, easy to train. The collie is a herding dog, so it will follow you where ever you go. Both would be breeds that would get along well with other pets. You have to be aware that collies, shelties, border collies, and Australian shepherds may have an MDR1 gene, so you need to pay attention to what meds you get for your dog. Example interceptor would be a better choice than heart guard. They would need an hour walk per day. You would need to comb the hair, or it would matt and get tangles. You have to watch Golden Retrievers for hip dysplasia, but all breeds have some health issues. These are both great breeds, both popular breeds, it would be a good choice.

• Golden Retriever's are big to warn you i have one i'll e-mail you some photos of her tomorrow! Collies are loud my neighbor has one, Be ready to get woken up in the morning. Don't do well with cat's!. They are fine with birds and fish. gtg!

• yes you just have to teach them at an early age I would go for the collie though cause with bird dogs you have to remeber that the sight of a bird could get them going it is just in their nature, where as a collie is a herding dog, we have had cats,rabbits and birds with our collies and nothing bad ever happened!