Is it a good idea to get a Rough Collie on a dairy farm??

I'm thinking of getting a rough collie but I am worried that it will get WAY to dirty living on a farm.

I'm thinking of getting a rough collie but I am worried that it will get WAY to dirty living on a farm....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it a good idea to get a Rough Collie on a dairy farm??...

• Is it a good idea to get a Rough Collie on a dairy farm??

Is it a good idea to get a Rough Collie on a dairy farm?? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm thinking of getting a rough collie but I am worried that it will get WAY to dirty living on a farm.

Is it a good idea to get a Rough Collie on a dairy farm?? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Well I think if you are worried about keeping a long haired dog clean then perhaps its best not to go there. Rough Collies do tend to take a fair amount of time to groom, however their coats do shed dirt readily. You will need to trim out mats regularly and brush at least twice weekly. I always think its pointless to get a long coated dog only to clip it right back. This will also destroy many dogs coats.Why not go for a smooth collie instead?

• What do you think Collies are bred for? They don't just bark to tell you they found out Timmy fell down into the well!Geez...the dog could be an asset around catttle.

• Its not like many collies bred today have any farming blood left in them. They are dumb dogs now. Hard to train and love to bolt. If you want a dog, go for your needs. Don't just get a dog because it is portrayed as a good farm dog in old westerns. If you don't want to spend an hour a day grooming, don't get the collie. BTW, if it will be indoors, you will have long haired tumbleweeds in the hosue. They shed tons. The smell horrible.