Dogs who have failed the training program?

Now, I know that not everything that you see on TV is true, but on the Secret Life of an American Teenager, the main characters get a yellow lab named Moose who failed the training program to become a service dogs. Is there anything like that in real…

Now, I know that not everything that you see on TV is true, but on the Secret Life of an American Teenager, the main characters get a yellow lab named Moose who failed the training program to become a service dogs. Is there anything like that in real…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Dogs who have failed the training program?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dogs who have failed the training program?

Dogs who have failed the training program? Dogs Training Discussions
      Now, I know that not everything that you see on TV is true, but on the Secret Life of an American Teenager, the main characters get a yellow lab named Moose who failed the training program to become a service dogs. Is there anything like that in real life? And if so, why would they have been turned down, because I wouldn't want a dog with aggression issues, or life threatening illnesses.

Dogs who have failed the training program? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Very few dogs actually get to be service dogs. Dogs can 'fail' the program due to health issues (the dog cannot physically preform the task or has other issues that make it unsuitable), and just not being right for that program. A dog could fail from guide dog school, but be perfect as a hearing dog or a search and rescue dog. Each program does have it's own requirements for the dogs. Some dog can even be too friendly and want to interact with everyone and might not be able to focus on their task. The dogs would rarely have aggression issues, they just don't meet the high standards of the service dog program. There are very long lists to get one of these dogs. There are a lot of people wanting one, so it can be a couple years before you would get one. The person or family who raised the dog as a puppy usually get the first chance to adopt a dog they raised, then the dog would go to up for adoption and they go through the list to find the right person. If you want to adopt one of these dogs, you would need to contact service dog organizations and ask what their policy is. If there is a list, ask to be put on it and say that you will fill out any paper work that is needed. Keep in mind that just being on the list does not guarantee you a dog, you still have to go through the adoption process and can be turned down at any time.

• dogs who fail the service dog program are well sought after pets ... these dogs are highly trained, super socialized, they just were not the smartest when it came to specialized training ... and who cares ... not many people own pets that can fetch the remote or dial 911 so it really doesn't matter they are service dog "drop-outs" :O) not all dogs are successful at being service dogs, it does not mean they are aggressive or sick, they just could not pass the training ... same with cop dogs ... some pass training, some don't, doesn't mean they are not super dogs, or that they are not smart, it just takes the smartest of the smart for truly specialized training ... my friend has been on a waiting list for two years for a service dog drop-out to be a family pet ...

• Dogs get washed out of service dog programs for a million different reasons. Service dogs have to have a rock solid temperament and health. Of all dogs that start service dog training, only 10% go on to work successfully as service dog. Some dogs that wash out of one program become "career change" dogs for another program. For example, a dog that isn't fit to guide might do well as a medical alert dog. If a program dog washes out completely, they are first offered to their puppy raiser home. If they can't adopt the dog, they are then put up for adoption, but there is a LONG waiting list. Programs are very VERY picky as to where their dogs go, even washed out ones.ETA: I didn't say that the wash out rate of program dogs with breeding programs was 90%, I said the wash out rate of ALL dogs considered for service dog work is 90%. If you're going to reference me, Kirsten, do it correctly.

• They've already had considerable screening before being put in training. So a dog that washes out is unlikely to have a severe problem, though some do indeed wash out for health reasons. Some wash out because they lack the ability to concentrate, because they have issues with something like elevators.Whatever is wrong with the dog, they'll know it. With most pets you get as puppies its a crap shoot whether they'll develop a serious illness or aggression issues. Even when you breed very very carefully there will occasionally be problems that crop up. Now then, because these dogs have above average health and training, they are highly desirable. Which means the average waiting list is about three years long, the screening for who gets them is rigorous, and there is an adoption fee.Here's an example of how one program handles placing wash-outs:http://www.seeingeye.org/aboutus/default.aspx?M_ID=129The Seeing Eye is the oldest guide dog school still in operation, and therefore also the oldest service dog school (since guide dogs are a type of service dog).--- edited to add ---Wash-outs from programs that have their own breeding program are one dog in eight (13%), not 90%. Wash-outs among owner-trained dogs are significantly higher because the vast majority of these trainers lack the skill to accurately choose candidates or adequately train even good candidates. When only one dog in a hundred of the general population has all of the qualities necessary, what are the odds of an inexperienced person finding that one dog? Even skilled trainers operate at about a 50% success rate when choosing dogs from the general population, which is why so many programs have gone to breeding inhouse.