Will flea and tick shampoo also repel ticks and prevent them from attacking again?

One of my dogs had some ticks on him, so I bought some Tick killer/removal shampoo and killed them, took them off. Will it also repel ticks at all?

Will flea and tick shampoo also repel ticks and prevent them from attacking again?

One of my dogs had some ticks on him, so I bought some Tick killer/removal shampoo and killed them, took them off. Will it also repel ticks at all?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will flea and tick shampoo also repel ticks and prevent them from attacking again?...

• Will flea and tick shampoo also repel ticks and prevent them from attacking again?

Will flea and tick shampoo also repel ticks and prevent them from attacking again? General Dog Discussions
      One of my dogs had some ticks on him, so I bought some Tick killer/removal shampoo and killed them, took them off. Will it also repel ticks at all?

Will flea and tick shampoo also repel ticks and prevent them from attacking again? General Dog Discussions
    • well the shampoo only repels fleas and ticks for a while,but there's a special collar that works even better too... oh and if you want buy a flea and tick spray it works equally as well.

• no they wont but they will kill most of the fleas your dog will has currently or at the time you use it. if you wanted to keep ticks and fleas away i would recommend giving them a shower once or twice a week and dont let them go into dirty grass or bushes.

• No, the shampoo will or rather should kill what is on the dog when you use it. A once a month treatment such as frontline or advantage will prevent fleas and ticks. When purchasing such a product remember... you get what you pay for, Don't be tempted to buy the cheap knock-off. They won't work. Flea collars are also notorious for not preventing fleas for more than a few inches around the collar and only for a short time. I have seen fleas scurry right under a flea collar. Don't forget to treat all your animals when treating for fleas, not just the one you noticed them on and treat your house and yard as well for best results. Fleas will take up residence in your carpet and lawn.

• No, they won't be repelled.Here's what you need to do. Use Frontline Plus every 30 days. A PrevenTick collar can be used for outings where your dog will be in grassy/forested areas, such as camping, hiking, etc. I would put it on and take it off when you get home. They are gotten throught veterinarians, and if they don't have them, they can order them for you. There could be some repelling from this collar, according to veterinarians. I believe it has to stay dry.Any dog whose owner finds ticks on him should be getting the Lyme vaccine. One shot and then a booster 3 weeks later would be good for a year. This vaccine stops the disease before the tick can even bite.Never remove a tick with your bare fingers. Use tweezers or a paper towel in your hand, because you can get diseases, such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease from handling ticks yourself. A client at our vet hospital has had Lyme Disease and has drastic, terrible neurological problems involving his ability to walk from having had that disease.You may try treating your yard with Over N Out, which is a fire ant product but has the same ingredient as in Frontline. Look for that at WalMart.So save your money on the shampoo and use a good quality, oatmeal based shampoo for dogs.BTW, do not use Frontline for a good 24 hours after a bath (or before one.) The product lives in the oil glands on the dog, so stripping the oils off the skin may cause the product to not work as well.There you have it!