Will a change in food make my dog sick?

I switched from science diet to dog chow cause lack of money this week, could this be the reason my dogs vomiting and acting tired and not himself?

I switched from science diet to dog chow cause lack of money this week, could this be the reason my dogs vomiting and acting tired and not himself?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a change in food make my dog sick?...

• Will a change in food make my dog sick?

Will a change in food make my dog sick? General Dog Discussions
      I switched from science diet to dog chow cause lack of money this week, could this be the reason my dogs vomiting and acting tired and not himself?

Will a change in food make my dog sick? General Dog Discussions
    • Absolutely. Dog Chow is a lower quality food than Science Diet. But that is less likely to cause the sickness as an abrupt change in food. When you change a dogs food, it needs to be done very gradually to minimize stomach upset.

• Probably because it is advised that whenever you are switching dog foods to switch gradually. Try buying a smaller bag of Science Diet and add it to the new dog food and put less and less every day. This should help. The smallest bag of Science Diet is usually around 12 dollars.

• Yes ! You should never change dog food all at once. You should mix the two foods 50/50 for three days and start leaving out the old food a little bit each feeding and replacing it with new food. You just gave your dog one heck of a belly ache.

• Yes. You are switching from a higher quality food to a lower one. Also, you need to switch them slowly. Mixing the new/old foods by slowly increasing the new food and decreasing the old. This can be done over a matter of a few days/week. We foster dogs so we don't usually have this luxury as we never know what they've been fed previously. It usually goes away within a few days, if not there may be another problem. Also, anything your dog could have gotten into. Make sure not to feed them dark meat turkey, bones, or gravy this week (many other things too...high fat can really make them sick).

• If you didn't ease her into transitioning into the new food,this can upset her stomach,and cause the symptoms you mentioned.Most vets recommend mixing the old food with the new (half and half),until the old food is depleted,not just eliminating it all at once.Try an intestinal diet type food to help her get rid of the diarrhea first (like Hill's Science Diet canned I/D,which most vets carry,and isn't too expensive if you just need a few cans).If she won't eat it,try heating it up a little bit,and adding a little chicken broth.Once she's over the diarrhea,try the half and half technique I mentioned before,so it's easy on her stomach.Also,make sure the food you're transitioning her to is a good diet,with plenty of fiber and protein,not just sugars,like so many commercially sold foods tend to be these days.Remember,sometimes,you really do get what you pay for.I hope this helps!

• Yes it will. You should try and mix in a little at a time, so like 4/5 dog chow and 1/5 science diet. Then tomorrow, try 3/5 dog chow and 2/5 science diet. And continue until it's all science diet. This process should take about a week, so...good luck!

• While a change in food could be the cause of his vomiting etc. (unless the food is rancid) this is a very EXTREME reaction. If you've got a new dog, I think he should go to the vet for a check-up. If he is from a shelter or rescue group and/or hasn't had all his shots (or just got them) he could have been exposed to Parvo, Distemper or Corona and any of these could make him ill. Vomiting plus lethargy, is NOT a good sign & could be sign of a true illness, not just a finicky dog.