Why does my Dog keep licking the bottoms of his paws?

just wondering if anyone knows why my dog is biting and licking the bottoms of his paws. It seems like he is biting at the hair on the bottom of his paws. does anyone know why he is doing that?he keeps biting and licking his front paws and its both paws,…

Why does my Dog keep licking the bottoms of his paws?

just wondering if anyone knows why my dog is biting and licking the bottoms of his paws. It seems like he is biting at the hair on the bottom of his paws. does anyone know why he is doing that?he keeps biting and licking his front paws and its both paws,…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my Dog keep licking the bottoms of his paws?...

• My parents' Dachshund does that. He is allergic to grass. He will chew the bottoms of his feet and between his toes raw. (poor guy even gets itchy on his sheath. It has to be horrible to be allergic to grass and be so close to it)My parent's vet put him on a low dose of steroids every day. Get an appointment to see what your dog is allergic too. He will probably have to take an allergy medicine during certain seasons.

• wash his paws of good with soap and water and be sure to rinse the soap off. If he still does it he may have allergies and would need to see the vet if it persists. Or he could have an OCD and should be told not to do it and find him something else to do. My dog will just sit and lick his paws sometimes over and over unless i tell him to stop. Once licked the fur off. But it sounds like he stepped in something or has an allergy since he is biting them to relieve the itchy feeling most likely. IF he has FLEAS, give him a flea bath and get him flea medication. DUH

• I had a dog that always licked the bottoms of his paws. In his case it was just dirt that was trapped between the pads. It could also be that maybe he stepped on something that is irritating his paws. The best thing to do would be to try to clean his paws with a gentle shampoo. If that doesn't help, check with your vet. Sometimes you won't see a reason its irritated but a vet might be able to help.

• Hello, I also have a dog.She is a Rottweiler.But as for your answer to your Question.Go to the web search.Put in the question --Why do dogs lick their paws?There will be several place to go and get answers.But all of it could be because of dry skin or etc.You can buy essential oils that will help that.That is what I use on my dog as Rottweilers have very dry skin. Your dog could also have a swollen area between it's toes.Or something in it.So I would take the time to check it out.

• Have you shampooed your carpets or used a different floor cleaner? Sometimes this can trigger a reaction in a dog's feet which causes them to itch. If not he could have naturally itchy skin or an allergy to something else he's coming into contact with. Check for knots in between toes and embedded seeds etc. although it would be rather strange to find these things in both feet.

• It is actually could be several things. A dog bites or chews there paw, arms, or back it could be stress related. This is actually going to sound weird, but try "puppy massage" rub there ears, stomach and back to relieve stress.If that does not work your dog could have allergies,Take him to a vet and they give you pills to put in your dogs food to stop his allergies so he won't chew on himself.I've also heard of rare cases where a dog has a skin disease so it chews on himself, this is normally on the back, not the paws,My best answser for your case it probably just a habit your dog has, there really is nothing you can do about it if it's not allergies, stress, or a nervous issue.if he continueses to do it and it gets worse, take him to a vet.

• Check between his paws, look for swollen and raw places. If you see this take him to the vet. Our dog had this same thing happen and had to be put on antibiotics. An allergy to beef would be another option, beef is the most common allergy dogs get as far as a food allergy. He should be taken into the vet though to get it checked out. If he is always licking them they are bothering him allot probably sore and itchy...that would be miserable.