What does this mean as far as my dog's "dog aggression" issue?

I've noticed that my German Shepherd (who is dog aggressive) is only aggressive on walks to other dogs who are tense or agitated, straining like crazy on their owner's leash, hyper, etc. The dogs who walk by us who are calm and casually walking straight…

I've noticed that my German Shepherd (who is dog aggressive) is only aggressive on walks to other dogs who are tense or agitated, straining like crazy on their owner's leash, hyper, etc. The dogs who walk by us who are calm and casually walking straight…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What does this mean as far as my dog's "dog aggression" issue?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What does this mean as far as my dog's "dog aggression" issue?

What does this mean as far as my dog's "dog aggression" issue? Dogs Training Discussions
      I've noticed that my German Shepherd (who is dog aggressive) is only aggressive on walks to other dogs who are tense or agitated, straining like crazy on their owner's leash, hyper, etc. The dogs who walk by us who are calm and casually walking straight ahead she has no problem with. What does this mean??? (I'm in the process of hiring a trainer for her aggression problem)

What does this mean as far as my dog's "dog aggression" issue? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Its a posturing issue. He's fine with the relaxed dogs because they're not exhibiting any signs that they're challenging his authority.My dog is a quiet posturer. He's never barked, growled, lunged or given any sign that he's a problem... to the untrained eye. But, he gets slightly tense, his ears go back just a bit and he makes eye contact. That does it. The other dog goes nuts. I can't say that my dog is aggressive, but he brings out the worst in other dogs. He doesn't even want to fight- he just likes making a scene.My rotten little instigator.Good luck with the trainer!

• He wants to protect you from possible threats. (which is good for you)America tricks you into thinking that your "dog aggression" issue is bad, but your dog really loves you. Do what you think is necessary. But remember your dog loves you.

• She's picking up on the other dog's aggression and reacting. My dogs (one of whom has been attacked) tend to be the same way with dogs growling, barking or lunging at them. I've found I can distract them enough by talking to them that they're paying attention to me and, with practice, get them to pretty much ignore the other dog. I clicker trained them to "watch me" many years ago and it's a command they never forgot. That one works to get their attention focused on me, then I keep talking to them. You need to be careful what you're doing with the leash, too. If you tighten up the leash and you tense up, your dog's going to feel that and react to it and perceive that the other dog is a threat. The trainer you're hiring will be able to give you lots of techniques to keep her focused on you.

• Dog behaviour is influenced by many things, the most important being what they have previously learned about situations.From what you have described it seems likely that your dog's aggression to other dogs is based on fear and he is picking up on subtle body language from the other dogs that predict that they might be aggressive to him and so he gets in there first with his aggression before they have a chance. As aggression works well to get him taken away from the thing he is worried about (the other dog) he will use aggression more confidently each time he meets another dog that is showing signs that worry him. The dogs that walk calmly past him are not worrying to him and so he does not feel that he has to defend himself.He needs his perception of other dogs changed so that he no longer sees them as something to worry about using a process called desensitisation and counter conditioning. Your trainer should be able to help you with this. You also need to stop any reinforcement of the problem you might be causing by getting tense when you see another dog or any punishment (including shouting) that you may be using if he shows aggression. it is really positive that he doesn't show aggression towards all dogs, and if he has any doggy friends, making sure he gets plenty of interactions with them should help him see dogs in general as positive.

• There are very few dogs who are prone to aggression regardless of the situation. Usually these behaviors are related to specific events, relationships or environments.To understand more about aggression just go to www.dogtime .com

• Remember, dogs communicate much differently then we do. 99% of our communication is done verbally while 99% of dogs communication is done non verbally with body language. Basically, what those other dogs are doing is the exact same as if you were walking and a stranger started yelling at you "i am going to come get you""I am coming for you". What would your reaction be? You would get aggressive/defensive as well. Now the key in your situation is to make your dog realize you are the Alpha dog and you will decide when its time to be aggressive and its your dogs job as a submissive to follow your lead. Right now its reversed, your dog is being the alpha and trying to get you to follow her. I have found with experiance that the walk usually gives owners the hardest time when it comes to who's the alpha. Remember your basic obediance, don't let your dog get to that extreme level and try to bring her down. Intercept it before it gets there. Once you see a dog coming that is going to cause a problem, at the smallest sign of aggression from your dog, immedately put the dog in a sit on your heal. Make her focus be on you, if she tries to focus on the dog ethier give a quick correction with the leash or a quick grab and shake to the back of the neck. If you are having problems controling your dog on the leash remember to have the chain as high on the neck and close to the head as possible, that will give you better control.

• those dogs that are anxoius, or hyper are giving off those senses, and this is why your dog gets aggressive to them because he is picking up those senses in a negative way. Both dogs have to be calm, any other senses could evolve into a dog fight.